First Gaming Build! Need advice Please.

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hey guys, I am doing my first gaming computer build. I play mostly CSGO, and am looking to play max settings with 300fps. I am also looking to build my computer in case i want to get some other games in the future that are gpu heavy. I know csgo is cpu heavy. These are the components for my first build and they pretty much match my budget. Although i am fine with spending a few more dollars where necessary if necessary. PLEASE HELP ME.
Major areas of concern:
- which motherboard is better/necessary and worth the $50 upgrade
- if the graphics card is a good choice
- is the corsair memory at 3000mhz is necessary or i could use lower.

If there is anything i'm missing, any suggestions of different parts; please feel free to inform me.

CPU: intel i5 7600k 3.8ghz
Cooler: Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z270 gaming
or
Asus Prime z270-A
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC gaming
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W Gold
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HD: WD Blue 1TB 64mb

Thanks Tom's Hardware

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
its overall a very solid build, I wouldn´t change anything. I find the Gainward Phoenix or Palit 1070 being the best cards out there. I would take instead of the Evo 212 the Noctua NH-D14/15(If it fits your case) and overcloock the 7600k to 5ghz (if it reachs) I got the 6600k at 4.7 can go up to 4.9 bit unstable.

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Thanks so much. I will look into purchasing possibly a better cooling system to allow for better overclocking.
Do you have any advice regarding the motherboard choices?

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

At this high end, pretty much every single Motherboard are good, It comes down to your preferences. as seen here I would go for the Asus Strix if you can afford :lol:

I like the MSI XPOWER Gaming Titanium: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Star-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM/dp/B01N9OYDC4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=nerdtechy-20&linkId=6a2129aee74cf24425791e30347dc992

Look god like :lol: but as said before such s $$$$ Motherboard won´t bring you any reall performance difference compared to a cheaper z270 motherboard. http://www.toptengamer.com/best-z270-kaby-lake-motherboard/

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Its within budget, and I like the idea of the 4 slots versus 2 slots for future upgrades. I'm thinking the Strix will do just fine.
That other MB looks like a beast. lol

the only two parts i would change is the ssd to one of the newer m2 samsung ssd for there speed. the sata based ssd stop out at 500 read and write speed. the m2 are a lot faster and not much more money now. the other part is the power supply. look at seasonic and xfx units and higher end cosair units. if your thinking about using two gp go with 750w or larger power supply.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Than go for the Strix. It´s an Asus/ Well rated and recommended every where / Looks gorgeous / Advance Audio Bluetooth and Wifi Chipset / Latest technology. You just need a Noctua Cooler and you good to go for 5Ghz.

Edit: Note on the Samsung 950/960 Pro M.2 SSD. I got a 950 pro and after 4 Months of usage the Drive just Died o_O Sent back to factory, got a brand new, I found out those drives are ALWAYS overheating!!!! like hell overheating!! and Temperature throtlting is a real problem. I solved my problem by Gluing Thermal pads and Thermal Aluminium Heatsinks on top (something like this http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/500x1000px-LL-d35c33ce_Samsung950pro-3.jpeg ) . I burned my Warranty but at least my M.2 SSD wen´t from constant 110° 90° to 40° 50° at load, never got any Temperature Throttle again.

I got aswell an EVGA PSU unit and I find it Fantastic fully recommend it, it´s freaking stable my Gainward 1070 is happy with it (no coil wine)

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

What do you think about the SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD. I could upgrade to this and remove the 1TB HD.
Is this ssd better than the original one i suggested?

Regarding the PSU; i'm only going to be using 1 gpu so im going to stick with the 650W. Is there a better unit at the same price point?

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Im thinking of upgrading the SSD to the SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD. However, i might drop the WD blue 1tb hd as i have an external i can use; and this difference would help with the cost upgrade of the ssd.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

As said before I do have one I find the SUPER FAST!!! like 10GB ins 10 seconds or less... But they overheat and will die (if you´re lucky before the Warranty, if you´re unlucky 1 Months after the warranty) One thing is sure they overheat too much. if you wan´t to void your warranty and cool the beast at the beginning sure why not, but buying and installing the M.2 unter the big 1070 its a no go!!! it´s way too hot.

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

So which ssd could I get which wouldn't overheat. But still stay within a $200+/- budget?

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

So the 950/960 will definitly get Temperature Throttled (https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/) . I thought it was Bull***it, but after I got a dead drive, I do strong believe its not a good choice to buy one of those and let the stock cooling (None :lol:). there is the Intel Z750 NVME wich won´t Temp Throttle but you probably can´t afford. I actually would recommend you stick to the best SSD out there (Samsung 850Evo) you won´t have a difference in FPS or time loading screen, only a few apps will benefice from such performance. You could even buy a much larger disk with the saved money.

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

So would I be alright staying with the Samsung 850 EVO 250gb and WD 1tb hd? Im really only playing CSGO; and not going to be pushing the pc to its limits too much.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
More than alright. this build is already OVERKILL for cs-go :lol: by the way 250g isn´t much for today standards xD if you can afford go for 500gb

sterlingburns

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Yeh I totally agree that its overkill for csgo. Csgo is the game of choice but i want to build in case i want to play other games in the future that are gpu and cpu heavy.
I'll see if i can afford the 500gb ssd. But if i go that route then im canceling the WD 1tb. 500gb is more than enough space for me for now; i have an external anyways if necessary.

Regarding pc cooling; is water cooled necessary for my build or will just some fans do the trick>?

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Watercooling... Na no go, Hybrid cooling (Corsair air H110, Don´t know what) <-- Trash. Noctua air cooling is the Best you can get a Noctua NH-D15 will beat any cooler on the market, the Bequiet are aswell really good. The noctua fans are aswell very very quiet. Noctua it´s quiet and cool a lot!!!

You just need to take care which fans you buy, If you can afford Noctua Fans than super you need to play with High static pressure fans and high flow vents. the two intake in the front should be High pressure, the Outake should be high flow if there isn´t much resistance etc... it´s quite complex, you need to know before which pc case you will buy. I like silence I bought a Fractal designe R4, it´s now cheap and super performant my CPU barelly reachs 60° at 4.7 Ghz (Noctua NH-D14)