New PC with RX 480 - Freezes during DirectX 11 games! ARGGGHH!!!

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I just spent $1100 on a new PC, $400 of which purchased the RX 480.

So far I've played 2 DirectX 11 games - Stranded Deep and The Forest. Both of them freeze after a few minutes of gameplay where the screen goes blank and stops responding. Reset is needed to use PC after that/

I thought it may have had something to do with the drivers so I recently did a clean install of the latest Crimson drivers - no change. Please don't tell me my $400 graphics card can't handle DirectX 11 because that would make my head explode.

I've played DirectX 9 in the form of Zandronum for hours with no freezing, it seems as if it only happens with DirectX 11. Although maybe just coincidence that 2 DX11 just both happen to freeze after a few minutes of play.

I have searched Google and no-one else has reported this problem with RX 480, only lucky me

It sounds like the GPU is unstable. Try getting software for the card from the manufacturer and back off the GPU and MEMORY frequency to 90% of the current.

If that's stable you can increase it slightly, or consider whether to RMA the card.

I doubt it's a temperature issue. The card is designed to throttle down if needed.

I would also get Unigine Valley and/or Unigine Heaven as they stress the GPU a lot. If they remain stable for at least ten minutes then I'd suspect the game code or some other issue.

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Specs:
CPU - i5 6400 2.7GHz
GPU - RX 480 8GB
RAM -8GB DDR4
PSU - Corsair CX650M

Temps:
Idle - 47-49oC
After Several Mins playing DX11 - 78oC

Seems like temp would just keep going up if I let it... what should i do?

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi people. It's definitely a temperature issue. The crash happens when the GPU gets to 80oC. I made fan run at 100% using afterburner with case open and temp still got to 80 then crashed. So what should i do now?

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
If it is reaching 80C then it shouldn't crash. anything below 90C for Rx 480 isn't bad. Did you build your own PC or someone built it for you? What about your case airflow. Is it good? Did you do anything with MSI afterburner besides the fan tweak that you have made?

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I built it, there's plenty of ventilation and space in the case. I didn't even install Afterburner until after it started crashing. I just set the fan to 100% while playing and watched the temp go up, then I put it back to automatic. Can the PCI-e slot on the MB even handle 80oC? It seems very high to me, that's nearly hot enough to boil water!

Also mV in Afterburner always reads 0, that can't be right can it?

One other thing CPU temp normally around 45 at idle, 55-65 when gaming, is that ok? I haven't yet fully investigated the CPU temp when it crashes. CPU had factory thermal paste application and factory supplied fan installed.

slavia71

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
it could be related to your PSU not providing enough watts under increased load. I had that happen with my R290. Granted, the rx 480 doesn't draw as much power, but since you didn't specify your PSU, it's worth considering.

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I did specify PSU above - 650w, I thought it would be more than adequate. Anyway here are full specs

CPU - i5 6400 2.7GHz
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon 480 RX Gaming G1 8GB
MOBO - MSI H170 Gaming 3
RAM - Crucial Value 8GB Single DDR4 2133MHz
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM 1TB
DVD - LG DVD RW
PSU - Corsair CX650M Semi Modular
CASE - Corsair Carbide USB3.0 Spec-01

Last night did some more testing and monitoring of temps. The DX11 Games push the GPU to 77-79oC and CPU to about 69oC. I noticed one of the CPU cores got about 3-4oC hotter than the other cores. I read the max temp for this CPU is 72oC is that true? If so should I maybe reapply the thermal paste?

slavia71

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Sorry, failed to see your PSU specs. The paste would be my first step. The 650 CPU should be enough, and the temperature on the GPU is what is expected I believe.

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Do you think it's maybe shutting down due to CPU overheating? According to Intel website it says 71oC is the maximum temperature allowed at the integrated heat spreader http://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

I observed the CPU getting to 70oC so maybe that's the issue and not the RX 480? As others have mentioned it should be able to operate up to 90oC. I'll try reapplying thermal. Should I get a better cooler too? Using stock one

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
However the RX 480 still idles 15-20oC higher than other sites report. So maybe there is something wrong with it or would the elevated CPU temps be heating up the case and making the RX 480 run hot?

slavia71

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017

slavia71

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Try the paste first - the paste can seriously improve the temperatures (even though some mobos will have cpus running at higher temps, this mobo doesn't seem like one of those); plus, if you are not overclocking, the CPU temp shouldn't be that high; if the paste doesn't do the job, then you can consider other steps.

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
A bespoke CPU cooler would benefit your CPU in terms of keeping temps down. All In One (AIO) liquid coolers are mainstream these days (Corsair H series) or a top end air cooler such as those sold by Noctua are equally as good.

You'd see a tangible difference in temps with either of the above options, air being cheaper than AIO.

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
Make sure that you wipe the paste completely. Watch a youtube video for that. It is easy. Buy a market cooler also. I recommend you to buy a Cryorig h7 or Cooler master hyper 212 evo or a Thermaltake frio silent 14.

extra_anchovy

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Ok now I'm confused this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIq7TSszPFo says temp should be able reach 100oC even! If that's the case then CPU temp wouldn't be the problem either, back to square 1.

I'm going to try photonboy's suggestion

"It sounds like the GPU is unstable. Try getting software for the card from the manufacturer and back off the GPU and MEMORY frequency to 90% of the current.

If that's stable you can increase it slightly, or consider whether to RMA the card.

I doubt it's a temperature issue. The card is designed to throttle down if needed.

I would also get Unigine Valley and/or Unigine Heaven as they stress the GPU a lot. If they remain stable for at least ten minutes then I'd suspect the game code or some other issue. "

What does RMA-ing a card involve and how long does it take?