HELP! FPS drops / stuttering Issues on Windows 10

TheOlympian78

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Hi there!

I am running Windows 10 Pro v.1607 build 14393.693 and have recently seen more and more of this on my PC. Sometimes a reboot fixes it temporarily, sometimes it doesn't.

After about 1 or 2 minutes without touching any keys or the mouse, the FPS of whatever is on screen drops to about 10 (Don't know how to measure it, but that's a rough estimate).

I have tried the system timer app, but that doesn't help.
Nothing unusual in my Event Viewer either.
My GPU is just over a year old and I have had no problems so far (also, my drivers are up to date)

Any ideas?

See this video for an example:
https://youtu.be/vtHIFpop6KI

Solution
Well I've looked into the video you sent, and well since it's a video it can be cause by lack of memory or high memory usage than normal, codecs or even drivers.
What I recommend you to do first is to check your har drive for any errors. Go you your PC, and right click on the hd, go to properties and then tools and click on "check" under "error checking".
That is just to rule out the possibilitie of bad sectors that could cause a problem reading the file/files and etc.
Secondly watch closely your memory usage while gaming or watching a video. If it's really high that could be your problem.
Since you say that you think that is something to do with windows (I personally don't think that is has nothing to do with that...) lets try the...

ToxykVib3

Honorable
Feb 15, 2015
Well I've looked into the video you sent, and well since it's a video it can be cause by lack of memory or high memory usage than normal, codecs or even drivers.
What I recommend you to do first is to check your har drive for any errors. Go you your PC, and right click on the hd, go to properties and then tools and click on "check" under "error checking".
That is just to rule out the possibilitie of bad sectors that could cause a problem reading the file/files and etc.
Secondly watch closely your memory usage while gaming or watching a video. If it's really high that could be your problem.
Since you say that you think that is something to do with windows (I personally don't think that is has nothing to do with that...) lets try the following.
Click on windows key + x and choose command prompt as admin.
Open and type this: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth after its completed do this Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and after its completed and if it finds any errors do this Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
After all of that is completed in the same command prompt type sfc /scannow.
After all that we pretty much rulled out anything to do with windows errors....
Finally reinstall video and audio codecs and do a fresh install of your gpu drivers.
Hope it helps.
Personally I think it has to do with your ram tbh.

Solution
The likely cause depending on what Cpu you have in your system is to do with the fact that when your system is Idle the cpu clock speed is reducing, this is what Intel speed step and power saving does, as well as the Amd cool and quiet feature in the bios of your motherboard does.

Both reduce the cpu clock speed, and also the voltage is reduced the cpu runs at.
You can disable depending on of you have a Intel cpu, or Amd cpu of your system via the bios.

Once done reload windows, then go to the power plan settings of windows.
Select the High performance power profile.
And apply the new setting.

Check to see if your frame rate in a game stays constant or around what it should be.

TheOlympian78

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks, man! The disk checking seems to have worked (at least for now...)