Old Graphics card into a brand new PC build - advice please!

alexman941

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Hello one and all,

You have all helped me with previous PC queries so I have returned once more!

I am buying a brand new custom PC specs are as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
PSU: EVGA 500W
CPU: Intel i5 6600 3.3Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR4 Kingston Fury

I am going to transfer my current GPU (MSI GTX 950 2GB) into the new build but need help with the process.

The PC will come with windows 10 installed everything good to go but with no GPU.

1. Am I correct in saying there will be no old drivers on the PC as it is a new build (Therefore no need to uninstall old drivers).

2. Is it as simple as physically putting the new GPU into the new build before I plug in and then once it is on I just need to install all the drivers and software from there?

If there is anything I need to know. please inform me!

Thanks in advance!

Draqone

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

It's fine. Replace the PSU it if you ever upgrade to something like a GTX1070 or better.

alexman941

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

What would you recommend? I haven't made the order yet, happy to change some parts if it means I don't have to change it down the line!

(If it is on OCUK website that would be great).

it depends on the model of PSU. all good brands have lower end models of PSU's to keep costs down for lower end computers like ones you find in an office

lakimens

Honorable

The PSU is not very good and I suggest you don't use any adapters for 6 pin if it doesn't have it.
If the PSU doesn't have a 6 pin, it wasn't meant to have one for reasons known to the manufacturer.
Using a molex to 6pin adapter is not recommended.

alexman941

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

I believe the 500w EVGA PSU does have 2 x PCI-E 6 pin - so I wouldn't need a molex to 6 pin.

Either way - does anyone have any other suggestions regarding PSU's?

I was under the impression that EVGA was a decent brand and also its 80+ bronze rated? Also it comes with a 3 year warranty. But if it really is that bad then i'll get something else - I hear good and bad things about Corsair too!

lakimens

Honorable
EVGA has it's good ones: G2, P2, GS, GQ.
Corsair: CXM, AXi, RMx, RMi.
Seasonc: S12II, M12II, G, X, SS.
XFX: TS, PRO.
Antec: EDGE, High Current Gamer, Earthwatts.

From the top of my mind, google tom's psu list for the complete list.
Also, that list isn't updated frequently, so you can google for jonnyguru reviews for example "EVGA 500W jonnyguru"

Nonpossible

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2015

For the moment, your EVGA 500W will be just fine for that GPU. IF in the future you wanted to upgrade your PSU I recommend XFX brand. An XFX 650W or 750W would do just fine.

TRENDING THREADS