mATX cases to fit small form factor PSUs (Corsair SF450 specifically)

drumphan73

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I've recently purchased components to do a build using my old mid tower case, but I'm having trouble deciding what to do about the PSU I bought - the Corsair SF450. I think it's great and would like to keep it, but the cables are pretty short and I don't really feel like spending a bunch more money on new cables considering I already spent $90 on the power supply itself, but I don't mind paying the $6 to get the ATX adapter. I knew it was small form factor, and it is described as being for mATX builds, but the 24-pin power cable is only ~300 mm long, ±10 mm according to the box. The other cables range from 400-450 mm ±. I did research all the items for compatibility, but apparently I stopped JUST short of doing enough research to make a fully informed decision. (ugh!) Right now everything is hooked up and working, but the psu is actually sitting ON TOP of my case, an old, very basic Antec case with the side panel off, so the cables would be out of the way.

I want to get a new case anyway, so my question is: Are there any cases that you all know of that could take such short cables? I like the 2-chambered cube-type cases a lot, maybe one with the horizontal mb layout, or maybe a top-mounted power supply might work? I don't want to make any decision until I know it will work. My other thought is to just return the SF450 and buy something else. I'm not really keen on that option, because I bought it online and it would be a hassle, BUT I will gladly do it if that seems like the best option.

I just use air cooling/fans, but it doesn't really get too hot as I don't OC or anything fancy. It would need to house:
Micro ATX ASRock Z170M Extreme4 mb
Stock cooler (which I might eventually upgrade) on Intel Core i5 6500
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 gpu
1 - 3.5" hdd
1 - 2.5" ssd

Thanks for all the help.
Bob

The smaller the case, the shorter the cables you need.
Usually, the only cable that always seems excessively short is the 4/8 pin aux cpu cable.
It will usually be located on the top of the motherboard.
A problem for low mounted power supplies.
On a top mount psu like the silverstone, there should be no problem.

drumphan73

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
The only issue with the Silverstone though is that the motherboard is installed upside-down, so a top mounted PSU would still be the same distance from the 8 pin and 24 pin, right? Something like the InWin 303, which although an ATX mid tower, has a top mounted psu and would be more likely to work since the mobo is mounted right-side-up? I was also thinking the Fractal Node 804 or Corsair Air 240 might work too since the psu basically sits on the same level as the mobo.