Curious about HDMI cable

ominous11

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a Samsung 65inch curve with 120 Motion Rate. The salesman was trying to sell me a HDMI cable telling me that most older cables won't support HDR or "120hrz". I'm not sure about the HDR but I was under the impression that no hdmi can support 120hfz until the 2.1 hdmi cables come out. Am I wrong ?

Solution
It's a 4k/60 tv with 120hz interpolation. It has hdmi 2.0a which does support everything the tv has. Hdmi 2.0 does support hdr. What 2.1 adds is dynamic hdr. Note, your tv meets hdr compatibility but does not have the capable wide color gamut to show it. Got to love marketing. But your common high speed cable is all that tv needs.

I won't say it's the salesman fault though. They don't get trained in tech details or really stay up to date on it. You also won't find it on the spec sheet, like that samsung site you linked to. You have to look at more in depth reviews to find the info or talk to people who know tech.

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
HDMI is a spec it 100% works or dose not there is no "better" cable as it is digital ether works or dose not.... linus from linus tech tips took a 10,000$ hdmi too see if there was any difference across a HUGE rage of test... and Nope nono 0 get the lowist cost per foot you can get...salesmen smh

ominous11

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014
Yah I never buy stuff on spot without knowing and I kind of knew better but I tried to research before I asked and didn't find much info but I had to ask because I did see HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 and soon too be HDMI 2.1

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I think the newer specs are for 4k-8k yeahda yeahda have not looked into them for a bit but i used to sell them :( i quite that job because i felt slimy every time i told someone "hay you buy a $2k tv and a 800$ blueray why go cheep on the thing that connect them?" not enough showers in the world to wash that dark spot on my sole away ... i knew it was bull i bought droller store hdmi for my own set up :(

Cables don't have versions exactly but do have rated bandwidth speeds (what they were tested at but technically can support higher). The new hdmi 2.1 spec does have a new cable spec coming out. Currently there's standard speed and high speed cable spec. These older spec cables could still do it, they just weren't tested at the new specs so can't be labeled as such. High speed does do 1080p/120 but not 4k/120 so it depends on the res and not just "120hz." You should check the tv to see what version it has. This may all be irrelevant if it's not even 2.1. Also many tvs interpolate to higher hz and won't run 120 natively so you need to know that as well.

ominous11

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014

Hey my tv is the SAMSUNG UN65KU6500 ( http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/65-class-ku6500-6-series-curved-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un65ku6500fxza/ )

It's a 4k/60 tv with 120hz interpolation. It has hdmi 2.0a which does support everything the tv has. Hdmi 2.0 does support hdr. What 2.1 adds is dynamic hdr. Note, your tv meets hdr compatibility but does not have the capable wide color gamut to show it. Got to love marketing. But your common high speed cable is all that tv needs.

I won't say it's the salesman fault though. They don't get trained in tech details or really stay up to date on it. You also won't find it on the spec sheet, like that samsung site you linked to. You have to look at more in depth reviews to find the info or talk to people who know tech.

Solution