Monitor auto-adjusting brightness

JMRen03

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Hello, I recently bought a Samsung SF350 24" monitor, and within a few hours of usage I noticed an annoying problem.

The display seems to automatically brighten or dim a little depending on what's on the screen. For example, opening a Windows Explorer window causes it to brighten while minimizing it causes it to dim.

Even drawing a selection rectangle on the desktop triggers the brightening once it covers roughly 1/4 of the screen.

Furthermore, when viewing videos, there are certain seemingly random points where the display appears to rapidly brighten and dim for a second, which looks like flickering. Rewinding and playing through those points again replicates the flickering without fail.

From what I have read, this supposedly is a result of the Eco Saving function. But that feature has never been switched on, except when I was fiddling with the options in an attempt to get rid of the problem.

Thank you for reading this far. What I'd like to ask is, does this look more like an in-built 'feature' of the monitor or an actual hardware fault? I haven't had a new monitor in years, so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not.

Once again, thank you for your time!

EDIT: Whoops, I meant to post this in the Displays forum, can this be moved?

JMRen03

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from JMRen03 : "Monitor auto-adjusting brightness"

Hello, I recently bought a Samsung SF350 24" monitor, and within a few hours of usage I noticed an annoying problem.

The display seems to automatically brighten or dim a little depending on what's on the screen. For example, opening a Windows Explorer window causes it to brighten while minimizing it causes it to dim.

Even drawing a selection rectangle on the desktop triggers the brightening once it covers roughly 1/4 of the screen.

Furthermore, when viewing videos, there are certain seemingly random points where the display appears to rapidly brighten and dim for a second, which looks like flickering. Rewinding and playing through those points again replicates the flickering without fail.

From what I have read, this supposedly is a result of the Eco Saving function. But that feature has never been switched on, except when I was fiddling with the options in an attempt to get rid of the problem.

Thank you for reading this far. What I'd like to ask is, does this look more like an in-built 'feature' of the monitor or an actual hardware fault? I haven't had a new monitor in years, so I'm not sure what's normal and what's not.

Once again, thank you for your time!

Stefflator

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Hello JMRen03,

I have exactly the same problem with my Samsung S24E650XW which I bought last december. I am not sure if this is a defect or a technical phenomenon (some sort of image enhancement function/filter).

Did you find a solution for this?

Dule951

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
I have bought the same monitor two days ago and I have noticed the same problem. Have you found out what is causing this problem? I'm thinking about to return it...

Stefflator

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

In the meantime I am sure that this is a "normal" technical phenomen called "global dimming":

https://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/

It's most noticable during/after playing movies. If you stop the movie and screen turns white (like an explorer window), you will notice that dimming is auto-adjusted a little. I think Samsung is calling this "Samsung Mega Dynamig Contrast". I found no way to disable it. But in my opinion the contrast and black level is extremely good because of this feature.

Dule951

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
I found a partial solution. In my case, I had this changes on desktop (can be seen in the video), videos and games. What I did, fixed it for desktop and video, but problem is still present in games. Maybe not that much like before, I'm not sure for now. I will try to test it in more games.

I have AMD graphics card, and what I did is next:
1. Open AMD Radeon Settings
2. Preferences
3. Radeon Additional Settings
4. My Digital Flat-Panels
5. Pixel Format
6. It was auto set to first option YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format and i changed it to RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)

After that go to your monitor settings > Picture and now HDMI Black Level option will be unlocked. Change it to Low if its not set to Low automatically.
Done.

Try changing it to Normal and problem is back. I'm not expert or something. I changed my monitor after 12 years and I really don't understand this if it's meant to be like that and not a fault.

Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRQC-iEhj8

Has anybody here called Samsung's technical support?

Aside from that I have a completely different TV https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-D32x-D1-Class-Array-Smart/dp/B01A0LGU8Y which I snagged for $139 new from Jet.com. Let's refresh my memory with the remote. Okay, that didn't take that long. I have several picture modes. I have selected Calibrated. It does what your monitor does but the exact opposite it would seem.

Windows Explorer window causes it to brighten while minimizing it causes it to dim.

WE introduces a LOT of white and as such my monitor dims slightly. It a feature I appreciate. If I have a lot of dark colors on my screen it will brighten a little. Your monitor seems a little backwards. Which Picture Modes does your monitor have?

Please let us know(Pick as the solution) if Dule951's or anybody else solved your issue so that is someone else with your monitor searches the archives they will have a ready made answer waiting for them.

Dule951

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
Under samsung magic bright I have custom, standard, cinema and dynamic contrast. Its set to custom.

Also I have sent an email to samsung yesterday. Cant wait to hear what they have to say about all this.

Here is the new video. You can see that it happens while switching tabs in origin and amd settings app. Also while moving amd app around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2IPPPKhvk

D_Patligan

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

Did you receive any answer from Samsung? I'm having the same problem.