Is it worth buying +60Hz monitor for productivity apps?

Magma007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
I'm planning to buy a new monitor, this is what I have decided
Ultra-wide, 1440p, 32in or more, the problem is the price difference between 60Hz and 100Hz. I'm going to use the monitor for more than 6 hours per day, mostly on productivity apps (MS Office, Web browser, etc..). My question is, is it going to make any difference in non-gaming usage?, such as eye strain and fatigue?

Solution
The short answer is; yes it will make a difference.

Even with home/office/workstation use, a higher refresh rate dramatically increases the amount of still images we are shown as something moves across the screen - including mouse cursor, windows etc.

This means that everything you do will appear to move much more fluidly and smooth.

Will it reduce eye-strain and fatigue? Yes, but your mileage may vary. For me, going back to a 60hz screen from my current 144hz actually hurts my eyes as they have gotten used to the silky smooth movement, but its not something I ever noticed before I upgraded - I only notice now when I go back.

Of course, youre not going to benefit any where near as much as a gamer would, but there will still be...

Gallarian

Distinguished
The short answer is; yes it will make a difference.

Even with home/office/workstation use, a higher refresh rate dramatically increases the amount of still images we are shown as something moves across the screen - including mouse cursor, windows etc.

This means that everything you do will appear to move much more fluidly and smooth.

Will it reduce eye-strain and fatigue? Yes, but your mileage may vary. For me, going back to a 60hz screen from my current 144hz actually hurts my eyes as they have gotten used to the silky smooth movement, but its not something I ever noticed before I upgraded - I only notice now when I go back.

Of course, youre not going to benefit any where near as much as a gamer would, but there will still be some tangible benefit to you. However, whether this benefit is worth the significant price increase is down to you.

Solution
If you are not playing games, 60Hz monitor is ok but there is something important here. (not about game smoothness)
If the backlight is done via PWM control, you will get definitely less eye strain by choosing faster refresh rate. In this case 60Hz is not good compared to 144Hz.
If the backlight is done via DC voltage control, you will get less eye strain regardless of the refresh rate, in this case 60Hz is already ok.

BTW, monitor manufacturers put infos about non-PWM control (flicker free) and blue light filter on their products. Pay attention to those.

To reduce eye fatigues choose monitors while paying attention to the following:
1. choose non-glare display.
2. choose non-PWM background lighting control.
3. choose higher refresh rate to reduce fatigue, if you still choose a monitor with PWM background lighting control.
4. choose a monitor with fully adjustable pivot or get a monitor hand to increase ergonomy.
5. choose a monitor which can reduce blue light.

Hmmm....you are aiming for 3440x1440 IPS monitors?
I would recommend going for Del U3415W or U3417W instead of those monitors.
The build quality of Dell Monitors is better than those from LG or Samsung.

I would also totally avoid those no-name brands like Microboard and Wasabi-Mango.
If those from LG and Samsung are a lot cheaper, they are still ok.

Magma007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

Yes 1440p, in +32in and 1080p, pixels will be as big as bricks LOL

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
I disagree with 60-75Hz causing more eye strain than 120+Hz monitors. It's not possible and not logical either. It's all about PWM dimming.

If you're used to a certain amount of Hz it won't bother you at all. If you've never seen 144Hz you won't miss it either.

Go for a quality 1440p@60Hz.

Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($429.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $429.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-23 09:35 EST-0500