Should I upgrade my CPU or buy an SSD

samohtseyah

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I was wondering if I should either replace my current CPU (AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6 core non overclocked) with an AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8 core or buy a 500GB SSD (Samsung 850 Evo 500GB). Mainly looking For performances in games (like GTA online). With the SSD if I transfered GTAV and/or my OS to the SSD would it increase load times by a noticible amount?

My current PC:
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6 core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
RAM: Patriot Signature 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Toshiba Product Series DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
PSU: Inwin 550W
Case: Aerocool Xpredator X1

The 8350. EASILY. The SSD will only increase the load times of the games installed to that drive. It will do nothing for FPS.

How much are you going to invest?

Should you wait until the end of February or the beginning of March for AMD's Ryzen CPU line? I think you should.

That release should push prices down for previous generations.

pacmancereal

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
I'd get the ssd personally, you'll get a much more noticeable performance increase that helps you in everyday use. And also, the jump from a 6300 to a 8350 probably won't help as much as you might think. Unless all you care about is RAW gaming performance, sure, get the 8350, but if you are looking for load time improvements, you want the SSD.

SSD will only increase load times, and if that is your reason for upgrading, then I don't think so. That CPU is a bit old, and should be considering upgrading. Switching over to Intel will give you a better performance. But if performance is good, then honestly, an SSD will only speed up load times, and that's if levels take more than 20secs. Even on my hard drive, GTA V loads up in 15 seconds or less.

ZachCampbell4065

Reputable
Ambassador
Mar 5, 2014
I would advise patience. The SSD market isn't going to change in the next few months but the CPU market will. If AMD's Ryzen is as good as promised, not only will it force Intel prices down but it will offer an alternative option. If you can stretch your budget I would advise this, though you would need to replace your Motherboard and RAM as well as the CPU.

If you can't stretch to it, I'd advise the SSD. The difference to loading times across the entire OS is amazing, from start up to game loading times to rendering times or video editing speeds, it is one of the most key upgrades a PC can have.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

It´s a Hard choice, You would immediatly notice a big diference going from HDD to SSD, start up times would be significantly better, Load times would be increased. The FX 6300 it´s on it´s limit with the GTX 1060.

Giving the in Games difference from the FX 6300 and the FX 8350 is minimal, I would go for an SSD and get instant changes, everything get faster with an SSD, it makes you feel you have a beast machine

Well your motherboard will support a 125w CPU, but it does not have good VRMs for it so I would not advise using this board to overclock a 83XX cpu.
Most games are not programed to take advantage of more then 4 cores/threads and thus the 8300 would only have minimal performance increase over 6300 in tasks that can not utilze all 8 threads.

Add to the fact that the fx serries is a dead 4 year old platform and I would say that the SSD is a smarter buy as you can reuse the SSD in a different build latter.

Now as many others have said the SSD will i no way speed up FPS and gameplay.

samohtseyah

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Would it improve load times for GTA online?

CPU upgrae will not improve load times by much.

There might be a slight delay caused by your CPU but the vast majority of it is caused by HDD.

SSD greatly improves how fast Windows, Programs, games and large files open on a computer
CPU helps those programs perform faster once opened (assuming program is cpu intensive like a game, coding software, or editing software)

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

An SSD could help, but correct me if Im wrong, GTA 5 Online loading time is more connected with the fact your PC needs to Download/upload a shit toons of stuff and load all the data from the Server

An SSD would really be better than the newer FX processor. You can actually get for like 70 Dollars some used Xenon processors that absolutly rekt the FX processors, but the Motherboard is EXPENSIVE as hell if you don´t find a good deal

Surely with an SSD upgrade loading times would decrease rather than increase them?

For playability I would focus on the CPU upgrade, though depending on how much you can afford to spend may yield different solutions.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

The CPU upgrade is idiotic, the increase would be max max max 4 to 10 Fps, and SSD would be much wiser choice. And there is Ryzen coming around the Corner, you could upgrade your setup in 5 Months and Still use the SSD-

Which was why my reply was conditional on what samohtseyah can afford.

TRENDING THREADS