Office monitor for programmer (24-27 inch, IPS, 1200-1440p)

jaochoo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I want to start coding again and am looking for a new monitor. Initially I would not like to spend too much money, since it currently still is more a hobby and I can't be sure whether I will be able to really turn it into some sort of additional business.

The monitor would be used mainly for programming, office (Excel, Word etc.) and occassionally some graphic/web design (Photoshop etc.). At the moment, I am planning to use my old i7 Thinkpad T430s notebook, but might geht an i5 Macbook Pro in the long run (again depending on how seriously I'll pursue it).

Based on these thoughts, I came up with these specs:

- 24-27 inches (initially was looking into the 23-24 inches segment but am more and more thinking about getting a bigger screen)
- 1200-1440p (obviously depends on the screen size)
- IPS panel (as long as no one of you thinks I totally don't need it for programming)
- Thin bezel (might want add a second screen later on)
- VGA and/or Mini DP would be nice, but I think I can use an adapter for my old notebook if the monitor doesn't support it
- 250-300$ budget (if you think I definitely should get a 27 inches rather than 24 inches monitor, I might be willing to spend a bit more)
- available in Germany

Questions:

1. Should I go for a 27 inches rather than a 24 inches monitor? Or should I be fine with a 24 inches monitor?
2. Do I need an IPS panel?
3. Any product recommendations?

Solution
I think the Dell U2715H (or DELL U2515H for 25in) sounds perfect, ticks all the boxes. But it is more expensive than your budget. Personally I think 2k/27in is completely worth it, tons of extra desktop space compared to 1080p/24in.

The BenQ GW2765HT is right at your price range and is a nice 2k/27in, but doesn't have a thin border and miniDP.

If you're doing any graphic design you'd want an IPS panel for the color accuracy.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I think the Dell U2715H (or DELL U2515H for 25in) sounds perfect, ticks all the boxes. But it is more expensive than your budget. Personally I think 2k/27in is completely worth it, tons of extra desktop space compared to 1080p/24in.

The BenQ GW2765HT is right at your price range and is a nice 2k/27in, but doesn't have a thin border and miniDP.

If you're doing any graphic design you'd want an IPS panel for the color accuracy.

Solution