DPC Watchdog Violation caused by nvlddmkm.sys

Tyler_47

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I recently built my first gaming PC. Everything went well, the system posted properly and started running fine for a few days. About 2 days after I built it I began getting a multitude of BSOD, mainly memory management, I ran memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic, lone and behold my RAM was faulty, I bought a new pair and put em in, the system began running fine. A few days of light use later I began to play my first GPU and CPU intensive game Arma 3, within 7 to 10 minutes the frame rate dropped to 1 and this terrible audio distortion occurred unlike anything I have ever heard before. My system froze and with 10 secs I received a BSOD caused by DPC Watchdog Violation. I looked through numerous forums telling me to update my SSD firmware, I used Samsung Magican to check my SSD firmware, it was up to date, I proceed to try gaming again on a game called Verdun, same issue, I tried Rainbow Six Siege, every time I respawned my frame rate dropped and would eventually freeze and the inevitable DPC Violation. Finally after digging through more forums, I decided to check my minidump files, the lone wolf error was nvlddmkm.sys, I dug through some more forums and my solution was disabling NVIDIA HD Audio, this worked for a time being until yesterday when playing Unturned it occurred again but the screen violently changed color to white with pink lines, I hard reset the PC and started gaming again to see if it would occur again, it did on Verdun, I waited it out and the game continued smoothly with the exception of some frame dips. I began digging through some forum and found that since the nvlddmkm.sys caused these BSOD that I had to delete it, on a forum it told me that it should be under System32/drivers only to find it wasn't in their, but it is present in the NVIDIA drivers folder but it's labeled nvlddmkm.sy_ please if anyone can please help, all I want is to play some games after coming home from school.

Specs:
Case - Lian Li PC-05SX
Mobo - EVGA Z170 Stinger
CPU Cooler - Shadow Rock LP
CPU - Intel Core i7 6700k
GPU - EVGA GTX 980ti SC ACX 2.0
PSU - Corsair SF600
RAM - 16 (2x8) GB DDR4
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200Rpm 2TB
SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Monitor - Asus vx228h 21.5 inch 60hz 1080p

Tyler_47

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Sadly, I've tried doing a clean install, using ddu but, that led to avail, I did a reinstall again but of a earlier driver, but instead of a blue screen my PC screen turned white while on the desktop. https://imgur.com/gallery/Iks9U I have never seen nor heard of something such as this before.

Tyler_47

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Sadly, I've tried everything on that thread as well, the solution which seemed to work was disabling the audio, but I've still run into various crashes with the computer, in my previous post I linked a image which is one of the crashes that I experienced, Ive also experienced a crash were I start the computer up and it works properly, then my monitor turns off, but the PC remains running, if I turn on the monitor it turns on but show a no signal message, then shuts down. I also cannot use th speakers on my monitor, but my headphones work fine. I don't know if this is a monitor issue or maybe a graphics card issue, maybe its overheating. I suspect that the issue is with the driver nvlddmkm.sys being outdated, nvlddmkm.sys is supposedly a sound driver, I've seen in numerous post, it supposedly reading a outdated driver dating back to 2007 or 2006. Before I do anything to the nvlddmkm.sys driver, I'll try to maybe flash the bios, I saw that in one thread, the only issue I have with that is if I flash it will that reset and profiles I have in the bios for fan control and options.

Tyler_47

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I just ran into a completely different BSOD, this time it was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
and it said what failed was: nvlddmkm.sys, and the blue screen is at 100% but won't restart.