Core 2 Hot !!! Quad on Fire !!! 94°C 205°F

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Building my new system wasn't an easy ride. After temporarily fixing the bent socket pin, I went on to update the BIOS, and was getting ready to install the OS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247074-28-system-boot-sespected-core-quad-asus

I decided to just quickly go through the BIOS, and was astonished to see the that the CPU (Core 2 Quad Q6600) was frying. It was 198 °F and gradually increased to 205 °F before I shutdown the system. The Intel stock fan was running @ 1750RPM.

I have decided to RMA the Motherboard (ASUS P5K Deluxe), but I'm still not convinced that it is the bad pin that is causing the temperature rise. So, I just bought a new ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT CPU cooler. The fan will go to a max of 2800-3000RPM, and it has a great aerodynamic architecture. I also have the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I want to see what difference it makes to the CPU temperature.

There could be some other factor that is causing the overheat, that's were I want the input from you guys. Do you think it's the bent pin ? or could it be something else ?

But anyway, I don't want to keep this Mobo for sure. One pin ruined the whole board. However, I will still test it with the new cooling system before getting rid of it.

Here's the 775 Socket, with the bent or broken pin !!!

Socket.jpg

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Was the heatsink too hot to touch. If it was then you have a problem with the processor overheating. If the heatsink was cool to the touch then you did not have the heatsink seated properly. This happens all the time. Just do a search on are my temperatures too high.

Did you install the heatsink outside the chassis? I will bet you did not. You can get better cooling than what you got just sitting the heatsink loose on top of the processor heatspreader.

As for the Bent Pin. Yes, RMA the board. If you straighten them they easily break off. If it is a ground pin not much to worry about. Data or Power then that is not goo.

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
There is good chance the HSF wasn't installed properly, because I took it out two three times. I will makes sure I'll install the Zalman cooler properly on the new board. What's your opinion on using arctic silver 5 compound.

AS5 is most popular. Shin~Etsu is better.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You could check Intels Documentation on the socket. I bought a 775 board with a broken pin off ebay. I knew it was broken but checking the documentation i figured it was one of the vcc pins which changes the vcore voltage. I checked the power table and noticed the power supplied in this config would be a a little below standard, but not enough to cause instability.
What I'm trying to say is, check the documentation. If your CPU gets fed high voltage it turns hot.

TRENDING THREADS