Issues with Windows 10 and wifi/start menu on new System Build.

LtBoggs

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Recently completed a new system build and installed windows 10 as my OS. I have begun downloading games from Steam and have had this issue happen to me for the past two nights. The wifi icon on my task bar shows I am still connected but when I click on it where it usually shows all the networks within range its there for a moment and then gone. At this point it seems windows catches up and then displays the typical ! next to the wifi connection logo. Its at this point a few things follow suit and fall apart.

-under settings clicking "Network Status" does nothing.
-Task manager starts ok but when I click the "x" to close it,it hangs and doesn't respond until windows force quits it.
I switched out my network card and updated a driver specifically for windows 10 and tonight so far had no issues. Just finished downloading all of Fallout 4 and suddenly steam stops downloading. Sure enough it does the same thing again only this time my entire start menu is greyed out and non functioning.

I ran sfc/sannow and it came back with no corrupted files. Before I commit myself to a new install and redo everything can anybody lend me some pointers here?

Mobo: MSI Z270 M5
CPU: i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i
RAM: 16 gb (2x8gb) Ballistics DDR4
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti
Memory (boot drive): Samsung 850 Evo 2tb SSD
Memory (Storage): 2tb WD caviar black
Network Card: ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wirelass LAN PCI-E Card
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Solution
Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Bill

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Bill

Solution