All Windows Installation Media Gives Corrupt File errors

Ezzran

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
I just bought a brand new hard drive for an existing machine that was giving me troubles. I also bought a copy of Windows 10, as I missed the update Window before.

However, when I try to boot from the Windows 10 DVD, I get an error that says "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\notskernel.exe
Error Code: 0xc0000098"

And some stuff about needing recovery tools. "Okay," I said to myself. "I'll just need to get a new iso from Microsoft, then put that on a USB and boot to that." Well, ignoring the problems I had with the Media Creation Tool not recognizing my USB drive, I found Rufus and managed to get a brand new, shiny, Windows 10 iso on my laptop, which I then used Rufus to create a bootable USB of.

Aaand same error. And so I put the old hard drive back in, and tried to install 10 from the Windows 8 installation I already had. Got to about 70%, had to reboot, then same. Error. And now that Windows 8.1 installation won't load either.

I tried with a different DVD drive, and I tried with USB. I put Windows 8 on the USB and tried to reinstall that. No idea what the error is, because the frowny faced blue screen flashes by faster than I can read it, then it restarts and does it again.

The CPU is an AMD FX 6300, I think, and the mobo is an MSI 760GM-p34(fx). I've flashed the BIOS to the most up-to-date version, as well, with no success. And now I'm a bit lost, because searching for the error just gives me solutions that involve the Recovery disk, for when an already installed windows starts messing up, not for when you're trying to install it.

After reading around a bit more, I ran a memtest. Looks like this is almost certainly a RAM issue, since I had a 25% pass rate.

Solution
"The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors"

That's referring to the existing Windows installation, so it means your PC is still booting from the hard drive instead of booting from the DVD like you want it to do.

You must select the DVD drive in the Boot Device Selection Menu at boot time, or change the first boot device to DVD drive in the BIOS settings.

The RAM errors are a separate issue but that does need rectifying as well of course.
"The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors"

That's referring to the existing Windows installation, so it means your PC is still booting from the hard drive instead of booting from the DVD like you want it to do.

You must select the DVD drive in the Boot Device Selection Menu at boot time, or change the first boot device to DVD drive in the BIOS settings.

The RAM errors are a separate issue but that does need rectifying as well of course.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS