Need to upgrade GPU

PsychoZaku

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
i have gtx 660 atm but need upgrade to running most games all at min
i have amd fx 6300 air cooled and asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
only 600 watt psu
i was told most GPU upgrades i need better cpu but with ryzen on its way not up to upgrading CPU so any have any GPU recommendations

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

for anything decent you are going to need to overclock

since you are upgrading after the release of ryzen I suggest a rx 480 or a gtx 1060

your current cpu is going to bottleneck them pretty bad though, so dont expect benchmark numbers from the new gpu's until you upgrade

PsychoZaku

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

ty for tips Sinistercr0c and maxalge
do you think it would be worth getting a FX-8350 or fx 9xxx with GPU or should i just wait for ryzen in your option

I wouldn't upgrade the CPU for this reason, you will have spent money on two CPUs(6300 & 8350) and you'd STILL be using outdated tech. You need to remember that newer games are using the CPU more and more. An 8350 might be a viable budget choice if you didn't already have the 6300.

You don't mention the specific games you play so just know that the 1050 Ti should get you medium to high settings on most games at 1080p. Less demanding games will allow for higher settings. Some games, like Rise of the Tomb Raider don't need much CPU but will use all the GPU power you have. A 1060 will run a game like that better on your system. You'll have to look at the games you play and figure out if the need the extra power or not.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

not at all worth it, the 9xxx FX's are total garbage

wait for ryzen and make a choice then

PsychoZaku

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
thanks again for info , ill put money away and wait for ryzen ,thats going be hard so tempted to buy 10tb HDD or nice SDD