acer iconia w4 touch screen not working

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
hi all,
my acer iconia w4's screen has got a problem on its screen. it seems in rectangular area of less than an inch in width and the same length as the width of my screen no touch works. for example ,right now, I have to move my keyboard on the screen because the keys (q to p) don't work if the keypad is loaded in its standard bottom down place.
I don't remember if I'd put pressure on it but it really hassles me.
please let me know if I have to bring more clarification.

Solution
that does not fix the problem but some cheap power adapters will make the touchscreen work weird, most of them ,when unplugged, the touchscreen works normally again

some are so bad that touchscreen stops responding at all until you unplug them, that is why i ask, if the charger was connected when this happened and if it was original

accuracy of pixels? no, the touchscreen is just a sensor detecting electrical changes on the surface of the touchscreen, once a sector dies, it remains dead until you change that touchscreen, some touchscreen comes glued to the screen, so both must be changed together when this happens, it has nothing to do with pixels on the screen but both parts work together

some acer tablets, well tablets in general...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if it is not under warranty, you need a new touchscreen or touchscreen/screen combo, depending on the model

once a sector of the screen starts to do this, it will become worse over time, half side or the entire touchscreen stops responding

by any chance, have you changed the power adapter?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that does not fix the problem but some cheap power adapters will make the touchscreen work weird, most of them ,when unplugged, the touchscreen works normally again

some are so bad that touchscreen stops responding at all until you unplug them, that is why i ask, if the charger was connected when this happened and if it was original

accuracy of pixels? no, the touchscreen is just a sensor detecting electrical changes on the surface of the touchscreen, once a sector dies, it remains dead until you change that touchscreen, some touchscreen comes glued to the screen, so both must be changed together when this happens, it has nothing to do with pixels on the screen but both parts work together

some acer tablets, well tablets in general have a boot menu with some test options to detect how the system, sensors in general are working but this menu, well for windows tablets, i haven't seen it, only for android tablets, and not all android tablets have such menu

Solution

ChrysatusAuratus

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I've got the same problem recently on my Iconia W4 820 and I can bet it has something to do with software rather than hardware. How? Well because I had the tablet quarantined in my closet for over six months and immediately after recharging it with a 5V 2 A charger, it started giving me these problems, and its precisely as you describe it, the top 5 cm of the touchscreen doesn't work while the rest works okay when not detecting false touches. I unseated and reseated the display flex connectors, BIOS firmware upgarde,checked the tablet settings calibration tool in both WIndows 10 and 8.1, I did a soft reset, hard reset, recovery format, upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, but nothing worked. So I'm boiling it down to either a hardware problem (faulty digitizer) or a software problem with the 2006 HID touch interface driver that Windows loads up for these Acer Iconia W4 touchscreens.....what was really peculiar was the fact that this only started happening once the battery got depleted to zero and then was recharged after almost six months.......Acer Service cant provide a solution that's reasonable as they are charging $118 for a $50 dollar Acer Iconia touchscreen available on ebay. So I just want to be sure at this point that faulty hardware is the cause but I have no way of knowing as almost 80 % of the touchscreen works perfectly well. I can and do use a mouse but that beats the point of a tablet. Is there a touchscreen checking software anyone knows of? What can be a solution? At $118 a new 4G LTE Voice calling tablet is available on the market so, that rules out investing in a costly Acer Replacement touchscreen.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
under windows? i don't know any, perhaps google can tell more about it

on android, there is manufacturer suites for this and there is some diagnose tools into the firmware, usually called by pressing the power button and volume down, or any other combination of keypress

as you say, it is expensive, current generation of tablets with windows is nothing to feel confident, i got one dead for a board or battery problem, both will cost as much as the tablet did

if you feel you can change the touchpad or can find another, it is just a matter of unplug and plug the new ribbon, on most tablets you don't change only the touch surface, you change the front of the tablet with the screen included, easier and most times the front, the touch with the glass and the screen comes glued, also the work done and the warranty it implies can explain the cost you mention

i must be honest, those tablets seems that won't last for 2 years

i personally bought a cheap lenovo laptop, i can change battery, ram, hard disk and wifi with bluetooth card

no tablet lets you do any of that

the touchscreen, i miss it, but if it is going to die so easily, bye tablet

weird to see smartphones and android tablets not suffering form this situation that often, hundreds of millions of those sold, compared to a couple million from lenovo, acer and hp with windows 8 and 10 and still you see this situation

ChrysatusAuratus

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I've got the same problem recently on my Iconia W4 820 and I can bet it has something to do with software rather than hardware. How? Well because I had the tablet quarantined in my closet for over six months and immediately after recharging it with a 5V 2 A charger, it started giving me these problems, and its precisely as you describe it, the top 5 cm of the touchscreen doesn't work while the rest works okay when not detecting false touches. I unseated and reseated the display flex connectors, BIOS firmware upgarde,checked the tablet settings calibration tool in both WIndows 10 and 8.1, I did a soft reset, hard reset, recovery format, upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10, but nothing worked. So I'm boiling it down to either a hardware problem (faulty digitizer) or a software problem with the 2006 HID touch interface driver that Windows loads up for these Acer Iconia W4 touchscreens.....what was really peculiar was the fact that this only started happening once the battery got depleted to zero and then was recharged after almost six months.......Acer Service cant provide a solution that's reasonable as they are charging $118 for a $50 dollar Acer Iconia touchscreen available on ebay. So I just want to be sure at this point that faulty hardware is the cause but I have no way of knowing as almost 80 % of the touchscreen works perfectly well. I can and do use a mouse but that beats the point of a tablet. Is there a touchscreen checking software anyone knows of? What can be a solution? At $118 a new 4G LTE Voice calling tablet is available on the market so, that rules out investing in a costly Acer Replacement touchscreen.

magnificent_90

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

I called the local service center and they said the whole touch pad needs to be replaced which costs more than an arm and a leg!!!
But now I've got another problem with this gadget.
Here is the link

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3344920/acer-blinking-charging.html