First 1440p monitor (Acer xf270hu). Second monitor wont even power on now. Many other issues.

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Here we go: (video card is Sapphire 6950 2gb) First thing i do is place my old monitor in the secondary position and change it from dvi-hdmi to dvi-dvi. I connect the new 1440p monitor hdmi-hdmi. Windows boots fine, but I'm not getting 1440p. A few forum posts later i find out that my card can only get 1080p via hdmi. I don't recall if i powered off my pc at this point, but i go ahead and switch the new monitor to DVI-DVI and the old one to dvi-hdmi. My computer resulted to enter a boot cycle (i believe thats what its called) Old monitor cannot power on, but if i unplug it, boot cycle stops, i get the black and white "windows error recovery" screen, am unable to use my keyboard...weird..then it continues to desktop. 1440p works with the dvi-dvi connection on the new acer. If i unplug the new one and try only connecting the old one, it still wont power on.

Ok, so...whats going on? Did i damage a port? or my old monitor? Did i somehow break the drivers? Was i not capable of running 1440p as well as a secondary monitor? Please help! thanks in advance

Solution
I see that video card has a display port. Depending on the model its either full size or mini. Either way use that instead of HDMI and it will clear up your problems. The cables are 6-10$ on amazon.

I was having a hard time following what you wrote. Seems like you cannot run HDMI to that monitor for unknown reasons but DVI-D works fine. But when you use DIV-D you cannot use the second monitor?

iamacow

Admirable
I see that video card has a display port. Depending on the model its either full size or mini. Either way use that instead of HDMI and it will clear up your problems. The cables are 6-10$ on amazon.

I was having a hard time following what you wrote. Seems like you cannot run HDMI to that monitor for unknown reasons but DVI-D works fine. But when you use DIV-D you cannot use the second monitor?

Solution