Windows 10 1607 sandy/ivy bridge compatibility?

Jsev

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
So am now getting constant reminders to update by windows. The problem I have been having is that it downloads that anniversary update and I tell it to restart to finish update, as it loads in i can see that green windows update screen at 0% pop up just after the Gigabyte bios and then in a split second it skips to the windows login screen. I have had MS remote into my computer 3 times and to no avail, nothing works. They had me use that Media Creating thing to make an update ISO and that did not work, did its thing, restarted did some more stuff and then it crashes, loads into windows with an error that it reverted back. I know that windows update assistant says my processor is good to go but after doing some reading here and there I am thinking there is a compatibility issue.

I have an i5 3670k, not sure what gigabyte motherboard i have. GTX 970, 16gb HyperX memory, and a 250gb Samsung SSD.

I can honestly accept that by today's standards this is pretty old but for it to work with windows 10 and not a simple update confuses me.

Edit: I do recall that the error i got after trying to use the Media Creation tool ISO was something about a failure in the Safe_OS phase.

Thanks for any help :)

Jsev

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Thank You for responding. Well at least I know it is possible. I will look into this some more after work, seems a bit too complicated for my tech level but who knows.

Jsev

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
So I fixed it, I went home and tried the ISO method for update to see what the official error was.

0x80073b92 - 0x20009 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation

Did a google search and looked through quite a few posts until I came across one telling me to unplug any extra Hard Drives. So that is what I did and it worked. Didn't even have to do the ISO update, just used the windows update assistant and it worked perfectly fine.