Dell remodel, fresh install of Windows 10 help with adding a SSD boot drive, advice?

nutshellml

Honorable
Jan 10, 2017
Hi All... I'm planning a little remodel on my PC, adding a SSD as a boot drive, probably 500GB, and wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Dell (that originally had 7 I belive).

Wondering 1) is this possible, since I don't have a windows boot disk?
2) Any advice for this?
3) Will the SSD drive just "plug in" or will I need additional cables/adapters for inside? ANy advice is appreciated.

Solution

If it originally came with Windows 7 it may not be using UEFI. In which case it don't use RUFUS to make the USB Flash drive. Use the MS MediaCreationTool used for downloading Windows.

If it is a UEFI model. You must use RUFUS to make a USB Flash drive bootable.

Check the BIOS. Make sure USB booting is enabled. Also disable "Secure Boot" if it is enabled. If it has Secure...
1. As you are updated to Windows 10. Just download the ISO from MS for Windows 10 Home or Pro. Whichever, is your version. Then create a USB Flash installer drive or burn to DVD. If your PC uses UEFI you will have to use RUFUS to create a UEFI bootable USB Flash Drive. Rather than the MS Utility.
Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
RUFUS: https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

2. As stated use the above MS ISO and RUFUS if needed. Download drivers from Dell support site and save to a flash drive before doing the install. Use 7Zip to unpack them. Then manually update the parts without drivers in Device manager after the clean install. Pointing to the flash drive. That way for each device missing drivers Windows will search for and install the drivers only. Without any crap utilities provided with the drivers.

3. If it is SATA it should just plug in. You may need a good 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapter which will properly positing side and bottom screw holes and SATA ports if this is a desktop.
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Adapter-Converter-Mounting-Interface/dp/B01LZWX6PD/

nutshellml

Honorable
Jan 10, 2017
Help @velocityg4 I did everything but when rebooting I'm just getting the black DELL screen. When I take the USB drive out and retry I get the DELL screen but then I get the message of No Boot device and SATA 0: Installed (where my new SSD) is. Not sure what's wrong. Seems like the Dell isn't picking up my USB or freezing when trying to read it. THOUGHTS?

If it originally came with Windows 7 it may not be using UEFI. In which case it don't use RUFUS to make the USB Flash drive. Use the MS MediaCreationTool used for downloading Windows.

If it is a UEFI model. You must use RUFUS to make a USB Flash drive bootable.

Check the BIOS. Make sure USB booting is enabled. Also disable "Secure Boot" if it is enabled. If it has Secure Boot it uses UEFI. If there is any mention of UEFI in the BIOS. It uses UEFI. You can also disable UEFI by changing the boot settings to Legacy. Just remember RUFUS for UEFI and MediaCreationTool for Legacy.

If you don't know how to get to the BIOS. Start tapping the F2 key when you boot. You should get to the BIOS. If not reboot and try the del key. If not reboot and work your way from Esc through the different function keys rebooting each time. Until you get into the BIOS.

Solution