i3 6100 dual core or i5 4670k quad core

thijsieboy

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hey guys,

Im planning on upgrading my cpu, because I already have a gtx 1060. My cpu now is an a6-6400k (I know, the bottleneck is real). I am a gamer and I want to play GTA V, World of tanks, rocket league etc. Can you guys help me decide which one i should buy? Quad or dual for gaming?

Thanks in advance!

Not cores but full threads vs hyper-threads. The i5 has 4 cores with each core dedicated to a thread while the i3 has 2 cores with each core handling 2 hyper-threads. Since most modern games require at least 4 threads the i5 will be faster, it doesn't have to switch back and forth between threads.

thijsieboy

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

But if i search reviews they say that the i3 is a better combo with the 1060, but you recommend the i5?

Who says that?

The advantage of the 6100 is it uses a more modern CPU socket and DDR4 RAM giving more upgrade options in the future but on a simple 4670k v 6100 the 4670k is significantly better.

thijsieboy

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

The 6100 is the only one of its kind to have a very strong single core performance, so i'm wondering if the i5 is better..
The games nowadays only rely on 2 cores and then the i3 is much better i reckon.

thijsieboy

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Well actually its a 3Gb. And just like I said to sizzling, the games nowadays only require 2 cores. So i reckon which one is faster its so hard xD

Your misinformed. Games are using more threads these days and 4 real cores perform better than a similar dual core with hyper threading. There are a few games that benefit from an i7 especially in high fps setups.

Please see study by Toms on impact of number of cores on gaming performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-core-cpu-scaling-directx-11,4768.html

I think your misreading that review, it backs up my point very well. In the conclusion it even states

Of course, the largest difference between processors is seen at 1920x1080 with an overkill GPU. As you turn the dial to 2560x1440 and 3840x2160, the GeForce GTX 1080 is pushed harder, resulting in average frame rates that look more similar from one CPU to another. Despite the shifting workload, though, drilling down into frame times reveals that our dual-threaded Core i3 still cannot keep up. In games like Grand Theft Auto, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and The Witcher 3, massive frame time spikes translate to jarring interruptions. Ashes of the Singularity, Project CARS, Metro, and Hitman are all just less smooth in general on the Core i3. We’re perhaps most surprised that loading down Nvidia’s GP104 doesn’t let two Skylake cores off the hook.

Sorry, I was actually listing that study to point out that I agree with you sizzling.

Apologies, for some reason I thought the OP posted it