Internal Hard Drive Replacement

bar2jr2017

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
My Toshiba PC was upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 and then Windows 10 during free period. My hard drive has failed and I want to replace with an SSD. When SDD is inserted into hard drive location and PC turned on screen remains dark. Any suggestions?

USAFRet

Titan

For a new drive, you'll have to reinstall the OS.

What do you mean by "screen remains dark" ? Anything on it at all?

USAFRet

Titan

Create your Windows 10 install USB with the media creation tool
Plug it in.
Then turn the system on.

USAFRet

Titan

No, it should be instantly viewable.

Let's go back to the beginning...
Originally Win 8.1
Then upgraded to Win 10.
It was working fine after that?

Then....the HDD died? How did you determine this?
Insert SSD, and still the screen remains black?

This might not be a hard drive fail.

This s a desktop system?
Please list all the specs of this.

bar2jr2017

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
This is a Toshiba laptop L855 with 4 GM and 750 HDD. Everything working fine about a week ago. When PC turned on nothing displayed. Then I left PC on for about a day and then screen came on and I could access my files but not Windows or internet. Down loaded my files and turned off my PC. Next day PC would not display a screen drive making noises. Turned off and then tried later in day to turn on...no response. Took out HDD and reinserted but still no start up, Still noises. Bought new PC but wanted to try to restore old PC for a spare in case new one becomes a problem. Discarded old HDD a couple of days ago after destroying physically. Bought new SDD PLus drive today at Best Buy and trying to install

bar2jr2017

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Yes the blank screen happened twice before. My files were on the HDD that I needed not on the cloud so I downloaded those files to a new thumb drive and then uploaded to new PC. I may have misspoke about the Internet being accessible as Edge was not on.
PC is still on and still have black screen. I am considering turning off and then turning on again but will await your feedback. Thanks so far

USAFRet

Titan
If you are seeing a total blank screen, possibly the system is trying to use an external monitor, rather than the laptop screen.
There should be one of the top row keys to toggle this.
Otherwise, something else is broken or loose. Like maybe the ribbon cable to the screen.

bar2jr2017

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Have turned off power and will turn back on. I also made a recovery CD of my old drive. Could I try installing that to SSD Plus before using Media Craetion tool on USB thumb drive?

bar2jr2017

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
OK I 'm googling for Tochiba hard drive problems to see if other Toshiba lap top users ahvge experienced similar issue to see if they have a solution. Thanks for help I will advsie if I find a solution so others may benefit in the future

USAFRet

Titan

I still don't think this stems from a drive issue.