Monitor went *pop* and now it wont turn on

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
Booted my computer up in the morning, came back after breakfast and sat down at my chair, and just as i sat down, it went *pop* kinda like a clap sound. My other two monitors and computer are fine. The monitor now will not turn on and looks like it is getting no power. I have tried a different power cable and different power outlets. What could be the problem? Will it be expensive to fix? Or will I have to buy a new monitor?

Monitor : Dell UltraSharp 29 Ultrawide Monitor - U2913WM

Thanks

Solution
I have had capacitors fail in 1 LED TV and 2 computer monitors over the years. I replaced all of the capacitors that were leaking or bulging and they are all still working great after 3+ years. You will need to identify the exact specifications of each capacitor, which will be printed on them and buy replacements (I got mine online at radioshack.com). Then you will need a soldering gun (not iron) to melt the high temperature solder and remove the old capacitors. I used some low temp solder and my soldering iron to install the new caps, but you may not be able to find that anymore due to restrictions on lead solder (at least in the U.S.)

The hardest part for me was figuring out how to take the monitor apart without tearing it up...

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014

I dont have warranty :/ Dont have much money either so If I am able to fix it, that would be great...

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014

I bought the monitor in an auction when a store was closing down, there is no warranty, was brand new at the time though. Probably had for around a year

SuicidalCookie

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014

That sounds bad, I have no warranty so is there any way for me to fix the issue?

I have had capacitors fail in 1 LED TV and 2 computer monitors over the years. I replaced all of the capacitors that were leaking or bulging and they are all still working great after 3+ years. You will need to identify the exact specifications of each capacitor, which will be printed on them and buy replacements (I got mine online at radioshack.com). Then you will need a soldering gun (not iron) to melt the high temperature solder and remove the old capacitors. I used some low temp solder and my soldering iron to install the new caps, but you may not be able to find that anymore due to restrictions on lead solder (at least in the U.S.)

The hardest part for me was figuring out how to take the monitor apart without tearing it up. There are YouTube videos available. Just Google "Taking apart a Dell Ultrasharp... monitor", or "Replacing capacitors in a Dell Ultrasharp... Monitor).

One more thing. Buy Japanese-made capacitors, not the same Chinese-made ones that fail all too often.

Solution

Too bad MSI didn't follow that advice back in the day.

If you go to the sellers of replacement caps online, they will always say something like "We only sell quality Japanese-made capacitors" Then they will list the brand names so you can verify. I even found one site that sold the complete set of caps for my specific TV' power supply. I didn't buy from them, because I only wanted to replace the bad ones, and it was cheaper buying piecemeal (at least in my case).