New monitor going black when I start a game

McGerby

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Whenever I start up a game my main monitor goes black, but, I can still hear the game out of my sound system. Dell S2417DG 1440p 144hz (or as least it's supposed to be 144hz but it won't change from 59hz) G-Sync using a DisplayPort for input, is my new main monitor. I have 3 other monitors all at 1080p 60hz all using HDMI input. This never happened before with 4 monitors all at 1080p 60hz. I have a GTX 980 and a i7-4770k if that helps. Also F11 option for my other programs works with no hang-ups. Also does not work even if all other displays are disconnected.

McGerby

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

I first tried The Witcher 3. I went into the settings offered with Geforce Experience because I can't see the game to change them there and don't know another way. Made the resolution 2560x1440 and it didn't work until I put it in borderless window. But I can't access every game with Geforce Experience so it's only a small fix. Other games I tried is Fallout 4 and WarHammer Vermintide.

I just messed around with stuff and every game compatible with Geforce Experience needs to be borderless. unless I turn off the G-Sync then they work as normal. Games that aren't on the Experience optimal list work fine with G-Sync on.

It seems to me monitor is fine. The problem is with G_Sync. From NVIDIA page:
"Q: Does NVIDIA G-SYNC work for all games?

A: NVIDIA G-SYNC works with all games. However, we have found some games that do not behave well and for those, we recommend that users take advantage of our control panel’s ability to disable G-SYNC per game. Games that NVIDIA discovers that have trouble with G-SYNC will be disabled by default in our driver."

McGerby

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

I'll just leave it off, it'll be smoother that way. Thanks for the help and being my second set of eyes for trouble shooting.

May 29, 2018
SOLVED: I’ve also had problems with the monitor going black during game play and it irritated me. It also unmotivated me to play games. But I found a solution that works. I got rid of the display port because I realized that it wasn’t working as well. So I decided to use the HDMI that came with the monitor or the PC and it works amazingly!