chkdsk /r and hard disk question

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I have a disk that main contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a backup on that disk.
Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics failed, quick test did not complete, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/Xx7VXgu.png

I read that sometimes chkdsk /r can destroy hard disk and make it worse, and I am afraid to do any more things to it, I have some questions.

1. Should I do chkdsk /r first then save all the files to another new hard disk to replace the old hard disk?

2. Should I move all the files that are movable to a new hard disk (there will be some files that cannot be moved), then do chkdsk /r then move the files to a new hard disk?

3. Is moving or copying better? Is there some program that can auto skip the file that is stuck while move/copying? (so I do not need to stay by the PC to click next/skip when a file is stuck)

4. What is the the proper way to do chkdsk /r and is /r correct? Some say do it in DOS, some say do it in windows.

Thanks

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Just curious what is so interesting about disk errors?

I have said the disk is failing and attached the screenshot in my first post.

First test:
Xx7VXgu.png

Second test:
FXq1l9C.png

There are a lot of event ID 51 error in my event logs
tfHs7Tk.png

My disk is really going to fail, no need to check it anymore to stress it. Hope some people can answer my 4 questions above.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Is there a risk that if I switch off my PC now and I might not be able to access the hard disk again (not detected due to hard disk failure)? Should I power up my PC continuously until I have copied all the files to a new hard disk?

I was intending to switch off my PC to insert and connect a new 3.5inch internal hard disk for copying files to it and afraid that the old disk no longer works/detected if I switch off the power. I am thinking if I should just buy a usb external hard disk so I can just plug in and so that the pc power can be continuously switched on.

USAFRet

Titan

1. No

2. Copy what you can to elsewhere

3. Copy, do not move.

4. Academic and irrelevant until you do #2 as far as it will go.

Do NOT select ALL of the files and folders to try to copy at once.
At this point, one folder at a time.

confusious

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

This is an old thread but I thought I would respond to it. I am certain that others on this forum are techies and very advanced at that. Unless I have missed something I don't think the OP's question is academic at this point. This is what I did with a nearly dead system HDD with ALL my data on it and it worked for me:

I took out the system HDD took it to a friend's PC and made my hdd a slave drive and copied all my data onto a new external hdd. I recovered my data and took my pc to a computer technician who loaded a new system on it.

A lot of us who are NOT techies are looking for answers to our problems. Whether or not an advanced knowledge person on this forum can help us who are trying to problem-solve the issue we are having, the least one can do is not to dismiss the OP out of hand which is what I think happened here in the first response to the OP. The responder could have shared what to do in order to "Copy what you can to elsewhere".

Thank you for letting me post this response.

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Thanks. You do know how I feel. Your answer is helpful, and before your answer I have followed USAFRet reply and copied whatever I could to elsewhere. I am not a techie and I agree your answer "Copy what you can to elsewhere" is more useful than no answer.