Getting answers selected as best answer automatically

shamsul_arefin

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
since last 2 times I received private messages on toms-hardware that on some thread (of me this time and last time of other people), some answers was chosen as best answer. But why I am receiving this? For threads created by me, If I did not choose any answer as best then why answers are chosen as best answers? And even if I choose an answer as best then, I did not receive messages like this in the past. I am just confused what is happening here.

Solution
You will receive private messages for answers that you provided which were selected as Best Answers (either by the original poster or by one of the Tom's Hardware staffers). You will also receive a private message from threads you started in which a Best Answer was selected (either by you or by one of the Tom's Hardware staffers).

The Tom's Hardware staffers will review older threads (usually two to three months without a response) and, if not already selected, will choose a Best Answer.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will receive private messages for answers that you provided which were selected as Best Answers (either by the original poster or by one of the Tom's Hardware staffers). You will also receive a private message from threads you started in which a Best Answer was selected (either by you or by one of the Tom's Hardware staffers).

The Tom's Hardware staffers will review older threads (usually two to three months without a response) and, if not already selected, will choose a Best Answer.

-Wolf sends

Solution

That makes sense, but this raised a couple points of confusion for me.

1) I've never received PMs for Best Answers being selected from threads I've created.
2) I've never received PMs for my responses being selected as Best Answers for any threads.

I get emails, not PMs.

shamsul_arefin

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

It feels not good to be automatically choosing of best answers

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ideally you should be picking the best answer for a thread you created once it is solved by someone. it would not be necessary for tom's to employ people to go back and reread all those threads to select something the person asking the question could not be bothered to select.

but the reality is most threads go dead without the person starting it having selected a best answer. the question is obviously solved, yet the answer is not selected. but also keep in mind, you should not select best answer for someone else's thread. only the person starting the thread or someone working for Tom's Hardware should ever select best answer for any given thread. we do have a few random users who like to go around changing best answers which is not allowed and not taken lightly by the moderation team in the forum.

Wolfshadw

Titan

That's a setting in your profile, under account settings. Your Preferred Contact Mode is likely set to e-mail.

-Wolf sends