Looking to buy a monitor , need some help.

johnrambo552

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hello guys. I'm looking to buy a monitor for gaming , but i don't have enough money for a 144hz monitor so i was looking for this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Monitor-Response-Adaptive-G2460VQ6/dp/B015510R4M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My current monitor has 5ms response time and 60hz so i think it's an upgrade anyway.

Now im wondering how the hz thing works ? I heard you can use more than 60hz only if you use a Display Port cable. I checked another monitor which has FreeSync and people say that you can unlock the 75hz only if you use the display port cable and FreeSync option.

Also what is the difference between FreeSync and AdaptiveSync ?

As long as i understand even if you have a 144hz monitor and you use a HDMI cable you will have only 60hz ? The DisplayPort cable is a must have in order to unlock higher hz ?
If so can u tell me how to do it ? I have a GTX 1050 Inno3D 4GB with DisplayPort 1.2 port
Is there any difference between Display Port 1.1 and 1.2 ?

Thanks !

Solution
Yes it is possible to get refresh rates above 60hz without G-sync.
Turning Vsync on is worth it as long as you can render faster than your monitor can refresh. If you can't you'll start to get stuttering which for some is quite noticeable and for others barely.

Brickfoot7

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
First off your graphics card is not entirely compatible with freesync. Nvidia cards will not be able to utilize the variable refresh rate of a freesync monitor, thus they would have to run at a fixed rate. That being said the monitor you've linked wouldn't be much of an upgrade going from 5ms -> 1ms and 60hz -> 75hz.

HDMI, Dual link DVI, and display port can all run refresh rates over 60hz @1080. However, HDMI would require both the card and monitor to support HDMI 2.0 and even then it isn't commonly used. I'm fairly sure both Dual link DVI and display port can run a 1080 resolution @ 144hz.

Adaptive-Sync is the underlying foundation for AMD Free-Sync. Free-Sync has a few improvements over adaptive-sync, but I won't go into those. Nvidia's solution is G-Sync though do to it's nature monitors with this capability tend to be much more expensive than their Free-Sync counterparts.

In my opinion you'll get much more value by purchasing a monitor with a 1440 resolution than the one you've listed. For 1440p HDMI will surely work as well.

Brickfoot7

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Yes it is possible to get refresh rates above 60hz without G-sync.
Turning Vsync on is worth it as long as you can render faster than your monitor can refresh. If you can't you'll start to get stuttering which for some is quite noticeable and for others barely.

Solution