What happens if I use a US layout keyboard but change keyboard layout on PC

nugget123

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Ive been looking to buy a new keyboard. Im thinking of buying the razer blackwidow x TE but it only comes in US layout and I use nordic. what will happen if I change layout on my pc to FIN?
I dont really care about keys like öäå, Im just wondering about keys like "?=" etc

Solution
I think it would be fine, the keys won't match up but you know that already., As long as you know where they should be, it should be okay (i have US keyboard but accidentally set PC up with UK keyboard and the position of the @ key is different on the UK version, which made even simple things annoying until I fixed it). You could even move the key caps or replace them with custom caps if they exist.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think it would be fine, the keys won't match up but you know that already., As long as you know where they should be, it should be okay (i have US keyboard but accidentally set PC up with UK keyboard and the position of the @ key is different on the UK version, which made even simple things annoying until I fixed it). You could even move the key caps or replace them with custom caps if they exist.

Solution
The keyboard layout in the OS should override the letters painted onto the physical keyboard. However, do note that most European keyboards use a double-height enter key, while U.S. keyboards use a slimmer enter key with the \ key above it (where the extra height of the EU keyboards comes from). So while the mapping of physical keys to virtual keys will mostly follow what you set the keyboard to in the OS, it will not be exact.

TRENDING THREADS