Solved

Windows 10 Desktop freezing/lagging but games run perfect??

I built a new computer and I'll list the specs below, but my issue is odd. My computer starts just like normal but takes quite a while to warm up and get the desktop all loaded up. When I try to run a simple program the computer sometimes freezes for a while or gets pretty unresponsive. I could launch something like Chrome and that will take about 7 seconds to load when my shit laptop launches it fast on Windows 10. It takes about an hour of runtime for it to actually act like it should but wtf? I should also add the fact that games on here run fuckin golden. Never get frame drops, 120+ fps on shooters and racing games like gta 4 and dirt 3, yada yada... Why is this?

Pentium G4400 3.3Ghz Dual
8GB DDR4
GeForce 1050 Mini 2gb
AsRock H110-M HDS
650 GB WD Caviar Blue SATA3
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows desktop freezing lagging games run perfect
  1. What's the frequency of your RAM?
  2. Check and see what's running at startup, and how much CPU/Disk/Ram it's using. I had a similar problem with a machine that had a failing hard drive. Every boot it would try to run an antivirus scan and chug along with 100% disk usage. Slowed everything to a crawl. Had to both replace the drive, and reinstall the antivirus software to get it running right again.
  3. PC-4LIFE said:
    What's the frequency of your RAM?

DDR4-2133MHz
  4. TMTOWTSAC said:
    Check and see what's running at startup, and how much CPU/Disk/Ram it's using. I had a similar problem with a machine that had a failing hard drive. Every boot it would try to run an antivirus scan and chug along with 100% disk usage. Slowed everything to a crawl. Had to both replace the drive, and reinstall the antivirus software to get it running right again.

Yeah I was thinking maybe it was the Hard Drive because i've been using it for quite a while but I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure it's not the other parts because games run beautiful
  5. Citrix3908 said:
    PC-4LIFE said:
    What's the frequency of your RAM?

DDR4-2133MHz

I have pretty much the same RAM, better CPU and GPU and also have minor mouse lag.
    If you find a fix, tell me please.
  6. Best answer
    Citrix3908 said:
    TMTOWTSAC said:
    Check and see what's running at startup, and how much CPU/Disk/Ram it's using. I had a similar problem with a machine that had a failing hard drive. Every boot it would try to run an antivirus scan and chug along with 100% disk usage. Slowed everything to a crawl. Had to both replace the drive, and reinstall the antivirus software to get it running right again.

Yeah I was thinking maybe it was the Hard Drive because i've been using it for quite a while but I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure it's not the other parts because games run beautiful

At boot you can load up Task Manager or Resource Monitor and see how much CPU and Disk usage there is. Some at startup is normal but it should settle down after a few minutes. Look for any processes with abnormally high usage and if you see anything post it here. For the hard drive just download Data Lifeguard:

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

From Western Digital (or seatools for Seagate drives) and run a SMART check.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Games Lag Computers Hard Drives