Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Yesterday, I restored my system from a system image that I had made the night before with Macrium Reflect Free. It worked fine, except that when I logged into Windows and typed a search term in the Start Menu, I saw a message saying that search indexing was turned off (a pretty common and easy-to-fix issue, to the best of my knowledge). I opened Indexing Options, and chose to delete and rebuild the search index (which I believe is the proper action to take in a case such as mine), but it is taking a very long time. It's been over 30 hours, and it still hasn't finished indexing. Not only that, but the process seems to be getting slower the more time passes. Here's a screenshot I took about an hour ago (it's only indexed five more items since then):

Search%20Index_zpswuj59kh0.jpg

Solution
I wound up solving the problem on my own. First, I set it to only index "Offline Files", "Start Menu", and "Users" (as I have no need to it to index all of my music, documents, etc). That didn't help in and of itself (although it did give Windows a lot of less files to have to index). It was still extremely slow. Then, I turned my computer off and back on, and it suddenly started working very fast. It indexed over 7,800 files in mere minutes, and was finished.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I wound up solving the problem on my own. First, I set it to only index "Offline Files", "Start Menu", and "Users" (as I have no need to it to index all of my music, documents, etc). That didn't help in and of itself (although it did give Windows a lot of less files to have to index). It was still extremely slow. Then, I turned my computer off and back on, and it suddenly started working very fast. It indexed over 7,800 files in mere minutes, and was finished.

Solution