why do some 2k monitors cost a good bit more then 4k

Solution
It's because 4k is the new standard and 2k never got that popular like 1080p did. That means manufactures can mainly focus on producing 4k panels in bulk for different segments of the market (video game demands, VR, TVs, monitors, projectors, etc.). This cuts down production costs and time.

2k is still popular in the monitor segment, but it's for a specific group of people like me who prefers a 2k monitor. I'm pretty sure half of the people or maybe more in this forum are still using a 1080p monitor. In a couple of years, most people will probably be on 4k when it becomes even cheaper.

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I think its down to r&d cost. A lot of people want ( and pay for ) 4k. Including television market and now console gamers. The only people that want high refresh rates are pc- gamers, meaning costs need to be spread over fewer people. Same thing with 21:9 screens, its niche so you pay a lot for it. Thats why an x34 ( ultrawide 100hz. ) screen costs +1000€. Double niche

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yea but even a gamer wouldn't they want a better picture? maybe refresh rates are good for first person shooters an such but what about rpg gw2. I think you explained it well I'm not an expert but would seem at least to me that resolution @60fps would be more important

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Yup, everybody. Wants 4k, even gamers. But only competetive gamers need high refresh rates. I play offline rpg games ( skyrim, witcher, fallout, ... ) and i dont need 144hz, i might want 100hz for the smoother feel, but im not sure its that noticable. If you play cod and you're the only one with 60hz then you are at a disatvantage...

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It's because 4k is the new standard and 2k never got that popular like 1080p did. That means manufactures can mainly focus on producing 4k panels in bulk for different segments of the market (video game demands, VR, TVs, monitors, projectors, etc.). This cuts down production costs and time.

2k is still popular in the monitor segment, but it's for a specific group of people like me who prefers a 2k monitor. I'm pretty sure half of the people or maybe more in this forum are still using a 1080p monitor. In a couple of years, most people will probably be on 4k when it becomes even cheaper.

Solution

stormflakes

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I dont think 4k is the new standard yet. But i agree thay 1440p might become the new 770p. Thats why im waiting for that new pg27uq... the pg348q was almost my new monitor but i chickened out. There is a risk that within 2 years nobody will be buying 1440p screens anymore.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I meant new standard for TVs right now since that's all people are buying now if they want a new TV. I don't see people buying 1080p TVs anymore. Eventually, 4k might become the new standard for monitors like 1080p did.