[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Mouse and keyboard works in BIOS but not when trying to log into windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Idiot Club

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Now I know there is already a thread like this, but nothing helped.

So, my computer started acting very weird, and slowing down my Internet when it was connected. After uninstalling a few apps, nothing helped. So I used the windows 10 "reset" option to re-install windows.

Right now, Windows is installed, but when it comes up with the login page, my mouse or keyboard don't work. If I turn my pc off, I can boot it back up and after a certain time, my keyboard and mouse flash up, which is where I can press F11 to boot into BIOS (or select a hard drive to boot off). While I'm in BIOS, my keyboard workstayed fine. My mouse does work, but it flickers to the right, it looks like the mouse itself is trying to close BIOS as it flickers towards the "X" button to quit BIOS. Anyway, in BIOS, I noticed it said "Keyboard not found" yet I was using my keyboard to navigate through all of the options. But, I didn't really find anything interesting in BIOS, so I just tried to boot it up again.

After a while, I opened up discord on my phone and asked one of my friends to help. We were up until 3/4am trying to fix this issue.. I put my USBs in the front of the computer, I put the USBs back into the back of the computer. I put the USBs in the 1.0 slots. I even turned off the computer, pulled the wire and took out the battery to try and reset BIOS. I tried using other mouses, I tried using other keyboards, I tried using my PS/2 keyboard... none worked... I tried using diagnostics, I tried booting up by selecting which hard drive to boot up in, again, none worked. I tried replacing my power lead, I tried taking out the power lead and holding the power button for 1 minutes exactly, all of which seems stupid and all of which didn't work...

If you want to look for my motherboard, type in Google "Optiplex 790 MT" (mt stands for mini tower) and you should see a document telling you the layout of the motherboard.

Please help me.
Thanks.
- Jamie

The Idiot Club

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
<<SOLVED>> After hours if research, I found an old PS/2 keyboard and plugged it in. Now, it didn't work straight away, after booting up windows and shutting it and looking in BIOS hundreds of times, I tried taking out all other r keyboards and left the PS/2 keyboard in and forced the system into windows recovery. To do that I had to pull out the plug when windows was loading 2 times and it started diagnosing my problem. I had already tried this before, but only with a normal keyboard. So, as it was "diagnosing my computer" I was sat in my chair knowing it wouldn't work.. Recovery mode loaded and I picked up the keyboard to use the arrow keys... and BAM in worked! I loaded windows into safe mode and had to enter an old password, which tookenables a few attempts. After a few failed attempts it wouldn't let me back out of the "incorrect password" box, so I shut he pc down, loaded it back up like normal and my PS/2 keyboard worked in normal boot up. I logged in and luckily I still had my files, which had my WiFi adapter drivers and utilities. I installed my WiFi drivers, went onto device manager and updated the USB hub (forgot the name)

Status
Not open for further replies.