Display on monitor is distorted

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm having a bit of trouble with my computer and I'd really appreciate some advice. For awhile now, my monitor has lines across the screen, and when the computer starts up, it goes through a series of images, almost like normal, but the images are distorted. I can't really figure out what the issue is. I've used my os restore disk and wiped my drive, and reinstalled my drivers twice now. I've cleaned of the computer using an air duster can. When I try to go to personal settings and change the resolution, it automatically resets to the lowest resolution when I reset the computer. I'm sorry if this is to much information or to little. And it doesn't recognize my hdmi slot through the graphics card, I bought a mini hdmi to hdmi and a dvi to hdmi cord, both cords were not recongized on my monitor. So I'm using a dvi to dvi cord. So I'm curious, is it my pci slot? Or my graphics card or mother board? Or something else. Thank you very all the help!

My computer stats are
CASE CORSAIR|600T CC600TWM-White

Motherbord ASUS|P8Z68-V PRO Z68 LGA1155

VGA ASUS|ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1

PSU CORSAIR|650W CMPSU-650TXV2
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CML8GX3M2A1600C9R

HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX
MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 5MS VH232H RT
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS%

Solution
Your logic is sound. Sounds like you might need a new graphics card. But first pull the one you have and clean everything you can with 90% rubbing alcohol, reseat the card and the cable and try again. Sometimes just cleaning and reseating everything does wonders. If not, at least you tried.
I noticed you didn't mention much about the monitor. That's the first place to look for a problem. Check ASUS' web site for FAQ and or forums that describe your problem. If you can, borrow another HDMI monitor to see if it does the same thing with the same setups. If so, it's monitor problem.

Also check the ASUS web site for FAQ's and forums on your video adapter.

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Thank you for your your quick response! So I went into my asus bios, just to see if if it was regonizing my pci slots. I noticed that my internal memory was switched off, so I turned it back on, connect my cord to my motherbord and it cleared everything right up. So I've gone through a couple of my settings and it says my graphics card name but it also says unregonized on abou three different settings. Although I'm sad to think it's my graphics card, I think it might be the issue. But I'm still not sure. Since my monitor works fine after switching the designated graphics card to my internal one, I'm assuming the monitor atleast isn't the issue. I'm pretty noobish at all this so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Your logic is sound. Sounds like you might need a new graphics card. But first pull the one you have and clean everything you can with 90% rubbing alcohol, reseat the card and the cable and try again. Sometimes just cleaning and reseating everything does wonders. If not, at least you tried.

Solution