Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
My system has the following specs:
CPU:Core 2 Quad q6600 2.4ghz
Ram:5 gb ddr2
Gpu:Hd 4890 1gb gddr5
Windows 7 64bit

Can i run any games on this pc and on what settings?
Thanks in advance!

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that gpu is direct x 10, only old games will run on it

the 5 gbs of ram, did you picked a bunch of 1 and 2 gb ram modules and installed them?

the cpu is very old but should let you play some games, when you change the gpu, a 750ti or a 1050ti would be perfect here

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Actually,this is an old "gaming rig" i had,it performed well in the past now...meh,anyway my ram is 3x1gb and 1x2gb,soo you sudgest to upgrade my gpu and and then the rest of the pc for gaming?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
as a gamer, change a ps4 for a old gaming rig with those specs, i woun't do that, ever

ps4 is quite decent, surely is better than that machine

you can use the way it is, but don't expect miracles from it

whe you can, sell that old gpu and get a better one, something like a gtx1050, perhaps a rx460 and keep both

you know, the last of us will never exist on pc, only on ps4

No.

To clarify, you can play some games. To trade something designed for gaming for something that can play SOME games would be a VERY bad move.

It is not a rig. It is a very outdated PC. If this was 2009 that would be a gaming rig. These days it's a dinosaur that even the PS4 makes look inadequate.

rubervaldo66

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
You shouldn't sell your PS4 to upgrade this computer, if you want something to perform better than that console you are looking for ~600$ minimum, and spending 600$ to upgrade such an old machine is simply not worth it, you should start from zero, or better yet, stick with the PS4.

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
I already have some pc parts that i can use for a new pc such as: 2 hdd,1 psu,the case,some fans,cables,dvd drives
so what i will have to buy is a cpu,a mobo,ram,gpu i think thats all,i could use 50euros for some pretty decent ram i think(8gb ddr4 2133mhz),core i3 6100(120 euros) or even a used i5(some more),50-60 euros for just a mobo with 1151 socket and the rest on a gtx 1050 or 1060(and i can sell some of my old pc parts(cpu ram gpu) and make 60euros or maybe a little more.Is that a good idea?

How much for the Q6600?

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

idk yet i will need to make some research first on sites that sell used parts and on many other sites and i dk if its worth yet to do such a move,to sell almost everything and buy a pc.I am still thinking about it...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
yes, that is a better idea, it will offer you more in the end and you can do what most of us do, buy one or two parts and later buy more when there is enough money

about the i3, better jump to the i5 and skip that cpu, is not ideal for most games, some games will complain about the two cores, some will accept the threads in it others don't

if you are on a budget, you can start with a cheaper seccond hand gou, a gtx750 or 760 could be a better option based on the parts you mention you are going to get

the 8gb module, dual channel memory could be better on low end pcs, so get if you can 2x4gb ddr memory

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

if i buy a mobo with 2 slots i thing i module of 8gb is better bc in the future i can go with more ease to 16gb,if i buy 2x4 it would be more difficult and i think i will lose also money the 10% (in theory) the dual channel gives i think its not worth it.After all ram is not expensive any more...
Also i found a pc with these specs:
cpu:intel core i5 4440 1150 3,1 ghz
case: Fazn A18 Piano Black Midi Tower
mobo: Turbo-X H81 HDMI-USB-3(1150/H81/DDR3)
psu: Turbo-X PSU Value II Series 450 W
RAM: Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB DDR3-1600
the seller also sells all the parts seperately and the cpu is 120 euros and the mobo is
30euros ,ram 30 also and the case 20 psu 20 but i already have one 460watts its also new and i already have 2 hdd's,what do u say?btw the pc has no gpu.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the idea of dual channel is get two identical modules to work, each one in one of the slots, yes, you could get the 8 module first, but get the second, identical, will be complicated

that pc is a bit old but very decent

the psu, is, well, no idea what it is

about the gpu, depends on your budget but sounds decent

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

i dont intend to buy his psu i have an akasa 460watt psu i installed it just 2 days ago,and the pc he sells has no gpu only the built in (on the processor).So is the whole deal worth it?(also i bought the ps4 2 months ago and i have 2 ds4,5 games witcher 3 goty,ac unity,fifa14-16 how much euros u think its worth?)

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Finally i decided that i will exchange my ps4 and a low end pc i have with a pc that has the following specs:
CPU: Intel i7-920 2.66GHz (after market cooler temps dont go over 45 C on load)
GPU : SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB DDR5 (aftermarket cooler with overclock and temps dont go over 40C)
MB : MSI X58 PRO
Ram; 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: Patriot Spark SSD 128GB
HDD(2): WD BLUE 500GB 7200 RPM
Case : CoolerMaster K350 (Window), with 3 AeroCool Shark Blue Led fans
PSU : SeaSonic SS-500ET, 500W, 80 PLUS BRONZE

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
well, you are decided to get rid of the ps4

that is a old pc, i wouldn't trade it for that, the gpu especially

that is a 6 yeas old machine, the ps4 is at best 2, i think you are loosing money here

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

I have seen some benchmarks and it actually performs well in many games and also i dont intend to play all modern games on Extreme ultra graphics and i am not intrested in modern games i play mostly strategy games(total war) not fps games like battlefield or cod and i play assassin's creed,fifa,and moba games like LOL) not extreme heavy games at all and i plan to overclock the cpu at about 3,5-4.0 ghz since it will have aftermarket cooler and mobo that supports oc.Finally,the pc parts are well,i mean it has ssd hdd fans aftermarket coolers etc only cpu gpu and mobo are the parts that are "old" but in the end that's the parts that i will upgrade slowly and at the time i dont think its completely necessary.
PS*the hd 7870 sapphire 2gb ghz edition (overclocked) can play witcher with many settings on ultra with 50-60 fps as i have seen and the ram is also pretty decent (yes its ddr3 but its ok i mean many users still use ddr2 and are ok like me and also i can upgrade to 24gb ddr3,the mobo has 6 slots triple channel and currently the specific pc uses only 2 of them on a total of 8gb.Sorry for long post...Whats your opinion?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the same as before, sorry, i wouldn't change a ps4 for that machine, at best i would assemble one cheap with different hardware, the 24gbs you mention, no, i wouldn't get that pc, but is your decision, andi believe you are confident on what you see and decided to do it

Peter Argir

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

Yeep...i decided to do it,in my point o view i believe this pc is going to perform better than a ps4 despite the fact that is 4-5 years old after all,upgrading is always available.For the games i play i think it will suffice.i can always sell hardware and make upgrades.All in all, i think it's a risk i am prepared to take!Thanks again for your replies and your advice!!!

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i understand your point completely

but a ps4 is no competition for a pc, and pc is no competition for a ps4, the ps4 is menat to be cheap, silent consume as less watts as possible and have a simple operation

the pc is all the contrary, especially the one you are purchasing that has its own quirks

i'm in the middle of trying to buy a ps4, hearing you saying that you want to get rid of one, makes me fell a bit sad i must say, that is why i mention all the pros of keep both platforms

anyway, good luck and enjoy your new gaming pc!