Power supply help

Gary941

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hey guys in the UK will a 125v power cord that came with a 110-240 power supply work in the UK with just an adaptor for the wall socket ?
Thanks

125V mains power is universal as long as you don't overload it with amps.

Best to get a new cord, but it will work for now... Unless it came with the power supply, in which case it's designed to work with it in any country so there won't be any problems.

Gary941

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Thanks so even though the UK is 230 v I think the power cord will work? And yes It came with the power supply and should I get a adapter of a certain make or anything to use cause it's got us pins

The power supply is rated for both standards and the cord came with the power supply? That means that the cord is designed to handle increased voltage as long as you stay within the wattage that the power supply is rated for. The power supply itself will stop you from exceeding this wattage, you'll be fine.

I'm not too familiar with standards over there, I live in the US. However, you could probably call the local electric company and ask for a list of the most reliable brands for power adapters.

Gary941

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Yeah the cord came with it and it says 125v on it but on the power supply it says 100-240 v so I know the power supply will be OK just didn't want the power cord to not be able to handle 240 v and fry it or something lol

Nah you're good

How many watts was the laptop charger and how many watts is your PC power supply? If the PC power supply is more than 100 watts greater than the laptop charger, I wouldn't trust the laptop's cord to power your PC.

Gary941

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Don't have it with me at the minute so just to be sure the power supply says 130w on it then below says 100-240 v and on the power cord that came with it it says 7a 125v on it so everything should be OK for the UK?