Usb ports shut off randomly and dont come back on until I force restart

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I recently have been having an issue after I have reinstalled windows 10. My usb ports will randomly just shut off until I restart the computer. Nothing works except maybe charging my phone. I've pulled everything off except wifi adapter, mouse, and keyboard. I have usb selective suspend off and I turned off the power management for each hub in device manager. Im using the provided drivers one being asmedia usb 3.1 and usb 3.0. I have a gigabyte 990fx gaming with an fx 8320. This issue just started happening and im not sure if the motherboard is dying or what. Just when this issue started my seagate 1.5tb drive stopped being recognized by windows and im wondering if I can recover my data anyway. My biggest concern are these usb ports.

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

There was one for my corsair link that i took care of. No other devices are giving any errors. Is it possible that my windows version has an issue with it?

t53186

Distinguished
Not likely a WIN 10 version problem, but since it occurred after a reinstall it's possible, usually it's a missing driver, one that's been updated, or even rarely an older driver works and windows update breaks it by installing a newer Microsoft driver. Do you get the same symptom, dead USB with all the ports, front and rear? if all the ports fail that could rule out a driver. Do you have any of the APP center stuff loaded, there is also something called USB blocker on that second page of links. Looks like a bunch of gigabyte software utilities could be loaded, not sure if the are needed or could contribute to the problem

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Its all USB ports i dont have any of those utilities installed.

t53186

Distinguished
Just looking over the specs for the board, looks like 3 separate possible USB HUB's..12 USB 2.0 ports (6 on the back panel), 4 USB 3.0 ports (2 on the back panel), 2 USB 3.1 ports on the back panel. that would be three "hubs" meaning three drivers and three different hardware components on the Motherboard. It's pretty hard to believe all three hardware components could temporarily fail at the same time. Not saying that's the case, but if three separate failures do occur we need to find whats common to all of them and that would be Windows.

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thats my thinking but theres no usb 2.0 drivers for this board anywhere

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

They show up fine in device manager I just had the pc on for 3 hours and it now just did it and I've reinstalled every driver. Now its only the usb 2 ports shutting off and they aren't going back on even if i try to disable and enable them again.

electricdeuce

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

All of a sudden my usb dongle for wifi doesnt connect but it has a successful usb connection and connected to the Internet allegedly but nothing Internet enabled is working so I will reinstall windows again and hope that fixes the issue.