Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade

MIKEFUSCO

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Have been trying for 2 weeks to upgrade my 1+ year old laptop to Win 10 - it runs the tests, acts like it is installing, etc. but after the blue screen announcing the update downloads, it boots one more time and freezes on the TOSHIBA splash screen - have left it sit overnight but no indications of HD activity. Was able to update two OLDER laptops with ease but not this one (L75-B7270). When I finally get to an error screen, one of the options is to loan another OS but when I goto that screen it says I have Win 10 loaded 5 times??? I have tried the direct download and loading from a burned ISO disk - same results; have tried disabling the UPDATER prior to starting (net stop WUauserv) - nothing - HELP! After each failed attempt I have rolled the system back to the original OS and tried again!

Solution
I am going to recommend that you give this a thought, even if you don't choose to do it. Go ahead and do a clean install of Windows 10 from scratch, and then later when you have to activate your new installation use the Windows Assitive Technology Free Upgrade. I have never recommended this to anyone else because I am a Microsoft nerd and I feel that people should pay for what they get, but in your case since you have a legitimate Windows 8.1 license I feel fine recommending this to you.

There are a lot of folks here that can help you out, but at least consider this as a viable option for your unique situation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

MIKEFUSCO

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
I was trying to use the a assisted technology's update (which does apply to me) - was also just going to go buy Win 10 at Walmart but now I am afraid it will not load either.

I am going to recommend that you give this a thought, even if you don't choose to do it. Go ahead and do a clean install of Windows 10 from scratch, and then later when you have to activate your new installation use the Windows Assitive Technology Free Upgrade. I have never recommended this to anyone else because I am a Microsoft nerd and I feel that people should pay for what they get, but in your case since you have a legitimate Windows 8.1 license I feel fine recommending this to you.

There are a lot of folks here that can help you out, but at least consider this as a viable option for your unique situation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Solution