RGB BUILD Asus IX HERO, i5-7600k

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding my first ever build.
This is the parts I picked https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNHMm8

1) I am considering having a 2 way SLI later is it compatible with my case and MOBO? since the ASUS GPU have a note (ASUS STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING extends the fansink to 2 slots)
which I found it means that it take 2 expansions slots but nothing on the GPU or Case to know if it will fit or not.

2) I am getting 2 more SSD's (to fill the s340 elite SDD mounts) and a 1 or 2 TB 7200 HDD.
Is it possible to get different SSD's with different speeds to run at the same time without having any problems? can I add all of these SSD's on the first place?

3) Getting 2 RGB Strips 2x60 cm

4) In the memory support list of the Motherboard
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_IX_HERO/MAXIMUS-IX-HERO_Z270-6L_memory_QVL.pdf?_ga=1.215001879.1223127043.1482603038
my Corsair RAM (CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R) is not compatible... how is that possible ? are they compatible or they just missed that in the support list!

5) I know that there are tons of PSU articles but with my limited PSU options I couldn't decide which one should I get, this is the PSU list that I can get:
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GQ 650W,750W,850W and EVGA SuperNOVA G1 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular.
I am also going to sleeve all cables which make the 1000W is the best choice because there is a ready custom sleeves for it, the others are not modular and I may have to do it manually by sleeving the cables one by one since extending the cables is no good, and if not the 1000W one which one is better 650W or 750W with SLI later with a chance of getting the 7700K in the future.

6) how much overclocking this H7 Cryorig cooler can handle :D

How do you find the build, I got all of them now except for the Case and PSU (Any other case suggestions? one of these only :D NZXT S340,H440,Noctis 450).
The Hero was +30$ more thats why I got it instead of the z270E.

7) do you think my setup can handle this screen LG 34UC79G-B or should I get this one ASUS MG279Q Black 27"
The LG is 130$ cheaper

Thanks in advance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure where to start.

Yes the motherboard and case support SLI, you would need a High Bandwidth SLI bridge to connect a pair of 1070. That said, SLI is probably not the best idea, as support should start to die down in favor of DX12 Multi-GPU, but that may take some years before the majority of games support it.

Memory is basically DDR4 with a red LED, so it should work on any DDR4 platform. Just means it was manufactured before the 200 series boards existed. It is NOT an RGB memory kit.

ROG motherboards are intended for high level overclocking. The H7 will allow for mild overclocks, so possibly 4.8Ghz on a 7600k.

You should avoid the GQ power supplies for this build. You do not need a 1000W power supply. For a single card, something like a 550W EVGA G2 or G3 would be fine. If you really want to explore SLI, then a 750W or 850W of the same model is advisable.

Both your monitor choices support free-sync, your GPU does not. They will still work as standard monitors though.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply I did not know about DX12 Multi-GPU, I will read about it but I already bought a 1070.
the other one will be a future update not this year and maybe not depending on the DX12 thing, but the SLI bridge that come with the HERO motherboard does not work?

and why not a GQ PSU ? I can only get the PSU that I said only else I will pay +100$ for shipping a powersupply from Amazom
And the monitors does not have G Sync thats correct but I wanted to know if I would get any problems with the LG ultra wide using this build.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GQ is just an odd offering from EVGA, it isn't any better than some of their other models and is about the same price as their own, better models. If that is all that is available it should be fine.

Looks like ASUS does include their HB bridge, so never mind on that one.

My understanding is this:
Standard 400Mhz
LED Bridge 600Mhz (See ASUS, EVGA, MSI, Nvidia)
HB Bridge 600Mhz x 2 (Uses both sets of SLI connectors, to increase bandwidth, it is why Tri/Quad is not supported by Pascal)

You would have to define the monitors problems you are thinking about. Performance wise it is a little bit of a stretch for a single 1070, but you should still see good frame rates, and you can turn down a few settings to help that.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Well the 27" is expensive but has the correct resolution, but the LG is 1) Ultra wide 2) cheaper
but it have 2560x1080 resolution I am afraid of performance and resolution.
I have read that similar builds will run 2560x1440 with at least 60fps with high settings with no problems is this correct and could this be the same for the ultra wide since the resolution is lower.

how much should I expect from this build, is it correct that will run games smoothly with +60 fps using 1440p or should I get 1080p monitor, plus If it will run 60fps max then I don't need to get a 144Hz monitor, Its confusing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, a 1070 can pretty much handle 2560x1440.

2560x1080, not really worth it if you ask me. Makes the pixel density too low on a 34". 3440x1440 would be the way to go there, or a smaller 29" monitor.

I have a 2560x1440@144hz with G-sync. It was expensive, but the idea is that I am not going to replace my monitor anytime soon. So even though my GTX1080 can't do 144 FPS all the time, it will still be a good monitor for the next GPU I buy. Games like BF1 got around 90FPS at max settings as an example.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Well the MG279Q is 200$ cheaper than PG279Q, the big difference is the G-Sync, is it worth it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think so, but I am not aiming for 144FPS all the time, which is really the point of G-sync and FreeSync. No more tearing. Great for single player games with a free camera as well.

Games you can run at 144FPS, you can just flip on V-sync on a standard monitor to avoid tearing. Though competitive gamers just disable it.

Other than that, it is a decent panel. Not everyone is satisfied with the less than stellar color uniformity on a lot of them, but this is not a professional display.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Thanks, I found another PSU's available which are CORSAIR RM850x Gold, HX750i Plat and Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W Plat.
All of them are fully modular, since I may upgrade my system later CPU/GPU I dont want to change the PSU.
which one do you recommend ? :D

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have an RM850x. Digital platinum supply sounds expensive?

I would have to look up who actually makes the TPG 850W, I have a much older TPG 1050W that is still kicking along, so despite Thermaltake's somewhat average reputation, they do have some decent OEMs to do their building on the top end.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Actually the TPG 850W is the cheapest one of them ( the prices are very strange )
Hx750i 234$
Rm850x 207$
TPG 192$

this is the link for the TPG, I have never tried to buy from this site but dont look at the warranty tho, usually there is tons of impossible terms and conditions.
http://jo.uber.ae/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-850w-platinum.html

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Jonnyguru gave the TPG an 8.9. A good power supply by Enhance. Seems they skimped on the accessories though. It doesn't have the little silicon corner pieces to help with a better fit. (The power supply has round corners) and the screws weren't long enough for installation. My old TPG 1050W came with the silicon corners and 4 extra long screws, so not sure why they would have left those out. They also got rid of that awful gold coloring they used for a generation.

Rm850x is a good high wattage supply. Not really any features to write home about. Easy to get custom cables for it.

Hx750i comes in on top, but that is expected. A high end component getting a score of 9.6 from Jonnyguru. And it has software you can use to get info on the supply, if you need such a thing.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Well I think I will go with the Hx750i, but what I got available now is the ASUS ROG Swift 27" PG278QR which I want to get.
Do you recommend this monitor?

Thanks for the help

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Going to be some trade-offs. A 1070 can not max out a QHD 144hz monitor, not even close. If you were to play older titles or reduce some settings you might reach 144 FPS though. But it does have G-sync, so it will set the monitors refresh rate to something your GPU can handle, at all times.

It is a TN panel monitor, so color and viewing angles won't be great, though for a TN panel it is quite good. It does offer likely the best combined input lag and refresh rate you can buy at this resolution.

I won't say it is a bad choice though, since you are likely to keep it for a while. You can always get a faster GPU as games start to require more power to run.

For the price, it is a bit high. PG279Q isn't much higher and that is an IPS display, but it has its own issues. I would say if you play a lot of first person shooters, get the PG278QR. If you play a lot of single player RPG or non-competitive multiplayer games then the PG279Q is probably the better choice.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

Well, I prefer Maxed out QHD more than 144 FPS, This is my first build and I never tested the 144, so I guess a 80-100 FPS is super for now.

Another thing the PG279Q is 150$ more, and I don't have that sort of warranty that will replace the monitor if it was defected (That is the main reason that I don't want to get it) and it costs 942$ where I live.
So a TN is better that a defected IPS

What is the avg FPS do you think I would get on a 1070 QHD monitor.

At all cases I am getting dual or triple monitors ( if one of them is QHD the others will be 1080 ), this is very confusing sometimes I think of getting 3x24" non G-sync and live with it :D

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A 1070 can do around 70FPS on all available games at maximum settings in QHD. Adding more monitors to your gaming setup will reduce this. This will vary greatly by titles and settings.

3440x1440 is an alternative with some merit if you want wide screen gaming. That puts you back into the PG279Q+ pricing territory though.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say with the picture at an angle and through the side panel window. Pretty sure I'm seeing some optical distortion.

The slot doesn't have anything to do with the card's internal structure. It bends because it is heavy.

Either way, not a whole lot you can do. You can attempt to rotate the motherboard a little to counteract the bend or get a support bracket for the GPU.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
@Eximo
I ened up getting 1080p monitor, 144 Hz
I was expecting high fps but I am getting 50-60 fps on Ultra settings
tried it on BF4 and world of warcraft(in raids)

Shouldnt I get much more fps?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Both are a little surprising.

WoW does often come with v-sync turned on, and you have to make sure that it is actually seeing the 144hz panel as one.

1) Install the monitor's driver
2) Make sure you are using DP, HDMI 1.4+, or Dual Link DVI
3) Set the Adapter refresh rate to 144hz in Windows (Advanced Display Settings)
4) Select the in-game resolution and refresh rate
5) If are struggling to reach 144hz you'll probably want V-sync off.

If G-Sync you have a couple of options. You can leave V-Sync off with G-Sync on. This will let G-Sync operate below 144hz but turn off above 144hz. G-Sync on with V-Sync On will run G-Sync in the whole range but not exceed 144hz.

WoW is a bit unique in that almost all the performance in CPU bound, particularly in Dungeons/Raids or populated areas. In the overworld with maximum graphics and few characters to render, you should be seeing quite a few FPS.

BF4, well it has been a while since I have played it, but I have run a single GTX980 @ 1080 (V-sync on), two GTX980 @ 1440 (G-sync) and a single GTX1080 @ 1440 on it. 1070 is significantly faster than a 980 but I would expect pretty decent performance there.

Only other thing I can think of is that DSR or 3D has flipped itself on, which has happened to me before.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017

1+2+3 ) Yes I am using DVI now, Its not because the monitor is not at 144, the game and the monitors are at 144 Hz no problems.
and the Adapter refresh rate is 144 too.

4) I have tried to lower the Resolution scale from 200% to 150% and I got a 90-110 FPS

The V- sync is turned off and DSR and 3D are disabled.

This is the setting:
http://imgur.com/a/iNZQZ

So what I am wondering is this normal and its happening because I max everything,
In WoW I use these settings too:
http://imgur.com/a/tpa9h

By the way I dont have G-sync.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution scale should typically be at 1:1 or 100% I would think.

If you want some increase in FPS in BF4 you can lower AA a little bit, but if that doesn't help it is likely your CPU that is holding you back. Frostbite does like a lot of cores.

WoW is typically CPU bound. I generally ran it at 60hz just for consistency and a weird audio problem at the time with high refresh rates. Seemed to be a WoW exclusive of Nvidia/High Frame rates/Sound input. You could actually hear the GPU through audio output to other players, but not experience the problem locally.

hsabbagh

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
@Eximo

Thank you for the help I just want to know how to can I tell if my CPU have a bottle neck.

I will create a new thread for my other questions :D