Audio driver not working on fresh install of windows 10

Cheeseot

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I installed windows 10, updated it to the latest version, installed all the drivers I needed and I noticed I have no sound.

In device manager, Realtek High Definition Audio has an error saying "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I've tried reinstalling it, tried some registry edits I found online but nothing worked.

I have sound if the driver is not installed, but without it everything sounds awful and I can't change EQ settings. Hoping someone here could help me out more than my hours of googling did.

Specs are: i5 4670K, MSI Z87 G45 motherboard, 8GB ram, MSI RX 480 4GB

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I admit that I didn't read the details carefully because 99% of the time you need to install the drivers for the motherboard that either came with the MOBO or the PC. If you bought a PC there might be a separate installation disc besides the windows discs, but unlikely.

UPdated: OK. I read it a bit closer. You mentioned that you installed all the drivers, for the MOBO? And if so the correct ones? I know I'm guilty of once installing the wrong drivers and screaming at the wind for hours. :)

I would try uninstalling the drivers completely and re-installing them. Can't think of much else.

Cheeseot

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Downloaded and installed everything from the MSI website for the exact motherboard I have. Unless they have the wrong drivers on there I doubt that would be the problem.

Edit: yep, that was the problem. Apparently the drivers you get from selecting "windows 10 64bit" on the msi website are not for windows 10.