Main monitor noticeably drops frames while gaming and watching live stream on second monitor

k0nfig

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Whenever I have my main monitor (ASUS VG248QE @144hz) running video games, and having a Google Chrome browser open on my second monitor (Acer S201HL @60hz), my main monitor with the game running will noticeably drop frames. But whenever I close out of the browser on my second monitor, my game is running smooth as butter.
*My FPS for majority of the games I play are usually 200+ and are always running smoothly, until I open up a browser on my second monitor*

Specs:
CPU - i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz
GPU - gtx 670 FTW
RAM - 16gb ram
MOBO - Gigabyte Z77X-UD3h

Originally I had the ASUS monitor, as well as my Acer monitor plugged into my 670. I thought the problem was that it could have been that my GPU couldn't handle dual monitors but doing some reading around, and people have said that a 670 should be able to handle up to at least 3 monitors. So my next idea was to try and go into my BIOS and enable the internal graphics, unplug the Acer monitor out of my 670 and plug it directly to my MOBO instead; thinking that my GPU would only focus on my ASUS monitor instead of both the Acer and ASUS. Sadly, this did not solve my problem. So I am assuming there is a problem with my CPU, but i'm not entirely sure.

Any ideas as to why this happens? And how I could possibly fix the frame dropping? Thanks!

bailojustin

Distinguished
A lot of the times its also internet that will cause lag drop, Watching a 1080 stream while gaming 1080 can cause a lot of issues, Especially if your GPU is using hardware acceleration.

Disable hardware acceleration.

First to figure out what exactly it is, can you get MSI afterburner and let me know what your GPU usage is with the GAME ONLY, then followed with the GAME and BROWSER open.

Secondly do the same for the CPU, AND RAM usage, What is the CPU/RAM usage with just the GAME open, and now what is it with the game and browser open.

Also your

k0nfig

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

I doubt it's the internet that's causing the problem because I have gigabit internet with google fiber as my ISP and watching streams from different devices while gaming doesn't cause my frames to drop.

How do I check if my GPU is using hardware acceleration?
Are you talking about the "Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration" setting in the NVIDIA control panel?
Because I have tried Single Display, Multiple Display, and Compatibility performance mode before but I haven't noticed any improvements.

Results from MSI Afterburner:
GPU usage: 99 - 100%
GPU with Browser opened: 99 - 100%
CPU usage: 20 - 40%
CPU with Browser opened: 40 - 50%
RAM: around 5300 - 5400MB
RAM with Browser opened: 6300 - 6400MB

bailojustin

Distinguished
go to power options in the search bar, and make sure your computer is in high performance.

also please record the CPU temps, and what the usage is in game, and followed by with the browser open. Each core specific result would be greatly appreciated and speed this up.

In task manager>performance>resource monitor is are any of your CPU cores listed as "Parked" on the right below the graphs of each cores usage?

k0nfig

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Alright, I changed the power option to high performance.

Here are the temps and usages:
5r5S0V6.png

hmdN2Mv.png

and yes, CPU 1, 3, 5, and 7 are listed as "Parked"

bailojustin

Distinguished
Unpark your CPUS. it should fix your issue.

Copy the following registry key entry between the brackets [ 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 ].
Select your start button.
On the search bar type in “regedit”.
Go to edit->find->find next.
Paste this registry key but without quotes “0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583” and click find.
Once it has located it, look for the keys on the right hand side labeled MinValue and MaxValue.
Double click on each value and make sure they are both set to ‘0’.
Close the registry editor and shut down your computer.
Power the computer back up.
Core Parking should now be disabled.