C Drive filling up and missing storage

Frostbite023

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Okay so I know that I lot of threads have been started on this very topic but I think my situation might be a little unique. I am running windows 10 and my C drive is a 120gb SSD that has my OS installed on it and not much else. No matter how much space I free up, how many times I run CCleaner, or how many times I run disk cleanup, my drive keeps filling up until I have 0 space remaining. Now what other people have suggested is using windirstat to identify what is taking up the space. The odd thing is that when I run windirstat I only see 31.8gb of data shown on the C Drive and when I open windir it correctly shows my drive as having over 100gb of capacity and it shows it at 100% full. I also do not have restore points enabled on the drive.

G

In windirstat, you have options, show unknown, show freespace. Enable both and report what you get for both.

Frostbite023

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Found the problem! I used treesize and it showed a file named windows.edb...it was taking up 60gb!!! I did a rebuild and got all my space back. Thanks for the tip on the options in windir though, I'm sure if I would have enabled those I would have seen the problem much earlier.