Reinstall windows ssd

zth102893

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Okay long story short building a computer. Have a digital download of Windows 10. No product key because upgraded. Called their support advised I can install on new pc via flash drive and call them to validate my copy of windows 10. I am leary of doing this. My plan is to wipe my old hdd and install my OS and steam on the new ssd. I just don't want to be sol on an OS. Also I copied the new mother board drivers from the disk, my GPU drivers, and Windows 10 installation on my flash drive. Any other tips for me if I missed something would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry for formatting on mobile)

Pc spcecs:
I7-7700k kaby lake
Msi Krabit motherboard
32gb ddr4 2400 ram (GSkill)
850w corsair PSU
Gtx 780ti
SSD Samsung 750 evo 256gb
HDD 2tb Seagate 7200r/w speed (about 3 years old)
Cool master 212 evo CPU cooler
DIYPC Skylinexpensive case

Solution
I question the training of their support...

have you built this New PC or still making it - the win 10 licence, is it from an old PC? if you still using that PC and want to move licence, try this before you move it: Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

When you say you copied the installer onto drive, did you make it bootable or just have a copy of ISO on drive? You could have used media creation tool to make USB or you can try this

Disconnect power to hdd, as otherwise win 10 installer will put the boot partition on it and if you ever remove hdd, the ssd wouldn't boot.
insert ssd (obviously)
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide - it should answer any questions...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I question the training of their support...

have you built this New PC or still making it - the win 10 licence, is it from an old PC? if you still using that PC and want to move licence, try this before you move it: Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

When you say you copied the installer onto drive, did you make it bootable or just have a copy of ISO on drive? You could have used media creation tool to make USB or you can try this

Disconnect power to hdd, as otherwise win 10 installer will put the boot partition on it and if you ever remove hdd, the ssd wouldn't boot.
insert ssd (obviously)
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide - it should answer any questions you have: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

When you reach screen asking for a licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue install and auto activate once finished if it has been on this PC before,. MS should have known this, they work there...

If you moved licence from old PC to new one, look at the link I showed above about reactivating PC after change and follow steps to reactivate.

Once win 10 boots from the ssd, unplug PC and reattach hdd if you want to use it as storage
Go into bios and make sure hdd isn't in boot order
you can copy files off it now

if you want to wipe hdd, I would d/c ssd from power, and run the free version of dban on your hdd and it will wipe it. D/c SSD just to avoid accidentally wiping it instead.

Solution