Windows 10, 8.1 or 7?

21P

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
The thing is that I have an Asus motherboard who is not windows 10 ready but It have some drivers that I can download in the asus website. Im not sure to use windows 10, 8.1 or 7 for a better performance in gaming.
My specs are:

i5 3470
Msi 1050 2gb
Asus P8H61-M LX3 R2.0

Here you can check the asus mothers that are windows 10 ready: https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/Windows_10/
It says that my mobo is not windows 10 ready but is compatible

This is where I download drivers:
https://www.asus.com/latin/supportonly/P8H61-M%20LX3%20R2.0/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution

When you look under categories like VGA or Network. There is a large difference because in number due to revisions released over the years for Windows 7. So Windows 7 has the original, possibly an interim update and the current version. Windows 10 only has one version as it only has the current matured version. The original Windows 7 driver came out before Windows 10 was released so there...
Windows 10: It has the drivers and is the current OS. You get DX12. So you can see the latest eye candy in games. Rather than missing out on DX12 features.

The only reasons to go with Windows 7 or 8.1. You hate Windows 10 for whatever reason and stubbornly refuse to use it. In hopes that the next Windows will be more like whatever version of Windows you like best. You have a business requirement where whatever critical proprietary business program your work uses is not compatible yet with Windows 10.

As you don't seem to have any bias against Windows 10. I'd say just use that and be up to date. Hardware wise there is no reason not to.

21P

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

You can see in that link that windows 10 got less drivers than other windows. I got to install the audio drivers with windows updater. Is that ok?

When you look under categories like VGA or Network. There is a large difference because in number due to revisions released over the years for Windows 7. So Windows 7 has the original, possibly an interim update and the current version. Windows 10 only has one version as it only has the current matured version. The original Windows 7 driver came out before Windows 10 was released so there is no reason to include it. Just the current version.

As far as utilities go. ASUS is not going to spend money to update them. They aren't drivers and don't effect the functioning of Windows. They are just useless bloat. I never install the utilities.

The only driver missing is SATA. Those would be a part of Windows 10. They aren't drivers anyways. They are just Intel utilities.

Many of the various chipset drivers from a motherboard OEM aren't the latest anyways. They just do what is needed to get it to work. Windows update will have many later versions. If you really want the latest go to the chipset OEMs directly. I download my network and audio drivers from Realtek or whichever chipsets I have.

Solution