Windows Error Recovery loop

BalPorridge

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have recently been stuck in the Windows error recovery and I don't know why. When I boot up my computer it gives me the option to go into the MSI bios setup for a short time (this has always happened). Then it shows the normal Windows 10 starting up sequence. It then loads into the Windows Error Recovery screen. The options on the screen are to start up in: Safe mode, Safe mode with Networking, Safe mode with Command Prompt, Last known configuration (advanced) and Start Windows Normally. I have tried all of these and all of them lead to the same screen saying "Starting up Windows for the first time", this is not the first time as I have had this computer for 2 years (have been upgrading components) and it has worked fine up until now.

I cannot access the computer at all so I am unable to access command prompt, regedit etc.
I have tried a simple restart, all options I stated above and I have tried other solutions online but they all involve using the command prompt.

When I bought the computer it had Windows 7 and it worked brilliantly. I made the very poor decision of upgrading to Windows 10 through the free offer that was available through Windows update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD << its a handy boot drive if nothing else

You might also want to try this to recover info off C: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

change boot order so USB or DVD is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt - try the suggestions you have

you can try a reset but you will need to reinstalkl all your programs again
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC - 2 choices, save files and settings (keeps login info, and contents of library folders like music, Documents, Pictures, Movies), or wipe it all
either choice win 10 will restart and reinstall win 10 (or fail)

If the reset fails to work, I would do a clean install of Win 10. Since you updated from win 7 there is a very good chance it wiil want you to wipe the entire hdd so copy anything off it you want to keep first.

Boot from installer and follow this guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

When you reach screen asking for a licence, select "I don't have a key" and win 10 install will continue and reactivate on install

when choosing which drive to install to, if you get an error about GPT drives, wipe all the partitions on the Boot drive and click next - win 10 will create the partitions it needs. If you click next and still get same error., exit out of the installer and restart PC and try again (as some PC need to restart for it to work)

BalPorridge

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I have tried putting in a usb with the Windows 10 installer on it, with it loading up first in BIOS. It leads to the same error recovery that was happening before with no option to launch from USB. I then tried it with a disc, same thing happened.

BalPorridge

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Sorry for late response (had to do something).

I tried that and it hasn't worked, leads to the the same error recovery screen.

I am using an MSI FM2-A55M-E35 or MSI MS-7721 (not sure which number I needed).

Colif

Win 11 Master
both numbers are the same (one is model number, other is its name)

I downloaded the manual to see if I could see anything obvious... nope :(
so boot priority is left to right on front page, I guess you know that
in MSI Settings, all I can see is a heading for USB config that enables/disables USB 2 controller or Legacy USB support for mice/keyboards.
Under boot just has the 1-9th drives in priority, this should match what is on front page

so when you boot with a USB in you don't get a flashing cursor at start up as if you did. that is when you hit enter to boot off the drive. otherwise it will go to windows

shame manual show how to install XP but not anything else

Colif

Win 11 Master
so when you boot with a USB in you don't get a flashing cursor at start up as if you did. that is when you hit enter to boot off the drive. otherwise it will go to windows

manual makes it obvious you shouldn't have to change anything but its still its not cooperating.

BalPorridge

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I boot up my PC, it shows the options to access the BIOS for a few seconds like usual, then it immediately goes into the error recovery page.

The only time I have been able to get the prompt to launch off of USB or Disc was when I put in my Windows 7 installation disc but obviously I can't use the repair option as I now have Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't find any instructions regarding installing 10 on PC. that leads me to think it should just work.

I am at a loss as to why it isn't. Sorry I couldn't help anymore

try hitting F11 at the flash screen, then put USB at top of listing