Computer automatically and repeatedly alt-tabs out of games

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
While playing a game on Windows 10, after ~30 minutes of playing, the computer seems to "Alt-Tab" out to the desktop menu. The screen turns black for about 3 seconds, then shows the desktop menu for about half a second, then goes back into the black, and so on. (Makes this extremely annoying sound every single time it goes black.) Unplugging the HDMI seems to fixes it, but it messes up the focus in the game, so that it zooms in on the top left part of the game, and locks there. If it doesn't do that, it just simply reduces the resolution into like 1990s graphics, and un-calibrates the location of the cursor.

I've gotten my computer repaired and sent back a few days ago, and has only had this problem since. They replaced the GPU and Motherboard. I have not downloaded anything other than some Steam games since I've gotten the computer back. And I didn't have any viruses before. I doubt I have one now.

This is incredibly annoying. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix it. Thanks.

Solution

If they didn't re-install windows to a freshly formatted drive, then any other troubleshooting steps should be set aside until that's done.

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

They did not. They didn't have mine in stock, so they upgrade mine to a newer version of both Motherboard and GPU. RX 480 graphics card, now. And GA-970-Gaming SLI-CF Motherboard.

Thanks

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

Not easily. I have a monitor that uses GVA cable (Which has never caused me a problem) and a GVA to HDMI Adapter, which plugs into the computer. I recently got the adapter. The "Alt-tabbing" only causes problems while playing a game, so I somewhat doubt that this is the problem. Still could be it, however.

Thanks

If they didn't re-install windows to a freshly formatted drive, then any other troubleshooting steps should be set aside until that's done.

Solution

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

My computer only connects to HDMI. I only have a VGA monitor. There's an adapter that connects HDMI to VGA, so I can use the monitor. It seems fairly simple.

Thanks.

cottoncandyman82

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

[/quotemsg]

Alright. I reset it. I haven't had any problems after about 50 minutes of play, longer than ever before. so looking promising. Thank you!

BlueTeamRig

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
i am having the same problem but in my case the only thing i changed in the time is the hdmi cable going to my monitor.i tried that back to my first one which didn't change anything