Is 27 old for the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
This may seem silly but is 27 old for the software development industry?

I wasted a bit of time after high school. Began a lot of things then changed my mind. However I discovered I like programming and the tech industry in general so I've been studying computer science. I won't graduate until I'm 27 though. I hear a lot of talk about how the industry is employing "young" people. To pay them less and their apparent "creativity". Just beginning at 27 will I be considered old and have a disadvantage?

Thanks
I know this is a little silly but it's a real concern.

Solution
Nope. As long as you are willing to learn everything and provide excellent output, age wouldnt matter at all. There are some who are young in the industry but slack of really bad. Itis just a matter of how you will do in your work.

Adrian Ocampo

Distinguished
Nope. As long as you are willing to learn everything and provide excellent output, age wouldnt matter at all. There are some who are young in the industry but slack of really bad. Itis just a matter of how you will do in your work.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

That's the place where I would walk out halfway through the interview...:lol:

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Not at all... college/young doesn't mean squat (Especially college). Work ethics (lack of laziness) is a biggie. I've seen so many "Smart" people, Young people that were worthless. Always keep your head in the game

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

lol mileaneal hipsters, hey plenty are in 30s as well, you know the inbetween gen xers like me and the mileneals

Dunno if you think 27 is young? Ask gabe newells toking 20 year old new valve devs lol

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

You're at a perfect age, honestly. Speaking as a 28 year old computer science major who just went through a series of programming job interviews (and finally landed a position), I can tell you that a lot of employers don't necessarily like such young new hires. Maybe some of them have a degree of creativity (though creativity doesn't discriminate by age), but most younger 20 year old's don't yet have the mental/emotional endurance or maturity to perform sufficiently in a professional programming position.

Employers like hiring people who are known to be more dependable and consistent with their work, and already have some amount of life experience. They don't want to babysit, and they also want someone who is confident and clear in their stance. These traits generally come with age..

So, I'd say that you're in a great position to market yourself, once you get the proper education for the field.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.