Beginning a job after graduating

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I'll be graduating in a year with a bs in computer science. The plan is to get a job being a developer. Unfortunately I never got an internship, I may this summer but between working full time and classes the chance is slim. My question is, what is it like starting a job after school? My job right now(un related to programming) requires a certificate. When I get a job they don't really train you for the specific skills but still they pair you with someone for about 2 weeks. What about after graduating? Is there any training? I don't expect them to teach me to program but will they just throw you in and say good luck?

Solution

What is your current job? Is there any reason you can't continue with that, and work your way up rather than...

What is your current job? Is there any reason you can't continue with that, and work your way up rather than becoming a developer? You are working full time and apparently have some training specific to that job as you say it requires a certificate.

I had a day or two of "how we do some of the specifics here" when I started my first "real" job. I could always ask somebody a question if I had to though, although I really didn't have that many. I bet that will be the same for you are likely not going to be hired for a job you are not qualified to do right out of the gate. The current expectation in industry is that you hit the ground at 100% on your first day, otherwise they require that you have the training do be able to do so before they hire you, and you pay for it. The MBAholes that run companies today aren't going to spend a nickel on your training unless they can be guaranteed their "multiples" out of it in ROI within this FY, and that really includes on the job training with "lost revenue from you not working at full speed right out of the gate."

Solution