BSoD from watching Youtube videos (ntoskrnl.exe)

HappyTeddy

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hello guys,
I have been battling the BSoD for about a month now, getting at least 2 daily and figured I'd finally ask some experts.

The curious thing about my BSoD is that I only get them when I play a game that's demanding on the graphics card, or watch a youtube video with 50 - 60 fps. I can easily watch 1080p videos for hours it seems, but once it's a 60fps video I get the BSoD within minutes.

What I have done for now, other than googling the entire internet for solutions was

1. Updating every driver I could in the device manager
2. Removing and reinstalling the graphics card and audio card drivers for good measure
3. Removing the graphics card and audio card from the pc alltogether (plus uninstalled drivers)
4. Run memtests
5. Cry in a corner
6. Try to find the problem myself in the bluescreenviewer

As far as I can tell (I'm happy to be corrected) the BSV points to a problem with ram, cache etc, but my ram seems to be fine and memtest doesn't show problems.

My minidump files of the last two days of desperately fixing, forcing the bsod & repeat:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52DPL4P6KKsYXFrQVlUaTk3TVE

My setup:
CPU - AMD FX-8320 3500 AM3+ BOX
Power supply - Tt Berlin 630W ATX23
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
Harddisk - Seag 2TB ST2000DM001 7200 SA3
RAM - D3 8GB 1600-999 Ripjaws K2 GSK (2x = 16 GB)
GPU - MSI 2GB D5 X R9 270X
Soundcard - Asus Xonar Essence STX II R

I didn't overclock anything and am using windows 10.

Any help would be highly appreciated, I'm at the end of my knowlege which wasn't much to begin with.

HappyTeddy

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
System-Thread-Exception-Not-Handled.jpg

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED-600x365.jpg

kernel_security_check_failure.jpg

These aren't mine but I've googled them quickly. This way it's easier than to force them. I've had each one of them, sometimes filename.sys is connected to it. It's very weird how it seems to be a different message and filename.sys every time (even though some repeat more often than others such as the ones in the SS above)

HappyTeddy

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

the error codes are always different, mostly "kmode_exception_not_handled", "system_thread_exception_not_handled", "kernel_security_check_failure".
I've downloaded and tried whocrashed and it pointed me to stxii.sys, which points me to my sound card ( STX II ). But I've literally removed it from my pc and the BSoD still existed. I've also tried to update the driver via windows and via the homepage.

I can't go back to a restore point because the last windows update was more than 10 days ago (unless there's a way I don't know about)

Looks like STXII.sys is causing one of them. The Xonar drivers I think

netio.sys/tcpip.sys are crashing so it maybe a network related crash. fvevol.sys is crashing

Uninstall Avira for now. amdppm.sys is crashing. The AMD chipset drivers I think?

See if there's an update for Virtualbox. Uninstall ASUS suite.

This file HD-Hypervisor-amd64.sys is 5 yrs old. Whatever it belongs to update it

See if there's an update for this Rt630x64.sys your realtek network card. It's 4 yrs old

Uninstall any OC software

HappyTeddy

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Seems very similar yes, but he doesn't really suggest a solution other than updating the sound card driver, which I've tried multiple times already. I'll look into it further tomorrow and cry myself to sleep for now, thanks for the help so far guys :)

HappyTeddy

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

Like I said before, I updated every driver, but I went over the ones you listed again and downloaded them from the homepage where possible. I also uninstalled the soundcards driver again with the official tool just to make sure and got bluescreens again. This time I even had a red screen without any text, only had that one twice before.

Either way, I've written it in the title but forgot to mention that bluescreen viewer sees ntoskrnl.exe as the main issue in 9/10 minidumps. I've looked up the ntoskrnl.exe but this stuff is too technical for little me. Apparently it's responsible for memory management, hardware, etc. Most of the bluescreens mentioned kernel aswell, which is part of that exe.

I can't identify what ntoskrnl.exe is connected to though, or if it's relevant and most importantly how to update/fix it.

TRENDING THREADS