How to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 in the least time consuming way?

cat___

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
My Asus Laptop Windows 7 failed to boot. So I removed the HD and check it for damage. It is not damaged but the windows wont boot anymore. Now my question is, how to upgrade this to Windows 10 in the least painful way?

1. Do I have to reinstall windows 7 to install windows 10 on top of it?
2. Can I directly buy windows 10 online and somehow make an installer boot USB from that to do a fresh install?

I assume buying windows 10 as an upgrade variant from win7 professional is cheaper?

You could try getting the win10 ISO with the mediacreation tool. Then either burn it to dvd or use rufus. And extract it to a flash drive

Then boot from it. Not too sure if it'll still activate tho. Just install Win10, dont install from Win7 then upgrade to 10

Yes, flash drive is another name for USB stick. Just be aware that using the media creation tool will erase anything already on the USB stick, so don't use one with any valuable data on it. I used a blank DVD, but I realize not all compters/laptops still have a CD/DVD reader.

cat___

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
when using the media creation tool, it fails to recognize my 64gb usb stick. Could this be because it comes pre-formatted as FAT32 (which can only handle files as large as 4gb?) Would formatting it to NTFS work?