Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Great analysis! I hope you guys do more game-specific benchmarks, I can't remember seeing them too often on here anymore. :)

waltsmith

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Not being a fanboy for this comment, this certainly sounds like another example of Nvidia strong arming a game developer to only put the green team card on the recommended specs. This kind of stuff leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

stairmand

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Now if only that would fix multi-screen, extra wide monitors and bigger FOVs. (anyone hoping that they already said they wont)

anzweidrej69

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
@STAIRMAND

Capcom response about FOV cap

http://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-explains-why-resident-evil-7s-fov-is-capped-at-90/

CPU and MEMORY USAGE:
You talk about more memory usage on the RX-480 8GB vs GTX1060 6GB but don't state if that's a positive or negative. Was there a POINT to that?

Tying in with that is CPU usage:
"The difference in CPU utilization is noticeable, to AMD's advantage. This isn't particularly surprising for a console port."

Since the GTX1060 6GB is using all 6GB's of it's memory it's quite possible that the higher CPU usage is due to memory swapping between system memory and video memory so I'd be careful about making specific points if you aren't certain of the reasons (or pointing out memory usage with no point made at all.. ).

MarkTech

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017
Worst RE of all, clearly a rip-off of Outlast, if you wnt truly survival horror packed with action, there is RE:2 and RE:3, still the best two games of the franchise

Shakershakar

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Worst RE of all, clearly a rip-off of Outlast, if you wnt truly survival horror packed with action, there is RE:2 and RE:3, still the best two games of the franchise

+1

Piki__

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
What a shocker, GTX 1060 uses less memory, because it runs out of it. Damn, and some people are happy with such mindless observations.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Already a game using >6gb at 1080p? I did not think i would see that this soon. Luckily for the 1060(6g) it doesnt seem to cripple it, but that may not be the case for long. It does cripple the 3g version, which im not suprised to see at all. I feel sorry for the people who were duped into the 3gig 1060s; its only going to get worse.

Suiton20

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2015
Is the game really considered a console port? It runs quite welll on plenty of hardware? Or is it nvidia fanboys saying that because amd somehow had an advantage on this nvidia title? But the 1060 6gb beat the 480 8gb by a lot. Maybe I'll get this game since it looks like it'll run great on my 390

fedpul

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I did not like this benchmark! There are things not tested like VRAM usage for example that is critical in this game. Also this game has really strange behaviours. Textures after Low does not change and the only thing it does if you crank up this setting is eating VRAM as crazy. Another setting that seems to present troubles besides Shadow Cache which is kinda useless, is Shadow Quality in Very High because it eats VRAM as crazy too. I have tested this game in a MSI Gaming GTX 970 @ 1400/1950 and with Textures set to Medium, Shadow Quality set to High and Shadow Cache off and it uses almost 3,5 GB VRAM all the time. Also at max settings when it fills your VRAM it starts to thing to RAM and the game can take up to 12 GB of RAM in 1080p. I do not know how long was your test run. But please try gaming for an hour or two with a 970 o 1060 3GB and you will see how the things I have said are true.

showp1984

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
"Once again, we see maximum on-board memory usage is higher on the Radeon RX 480 than the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. The former reaches ~7GB, while the latter approaches 6GB."

This sounds linke you are trying to make a negative point towards AMD, or at least fail to point out the elephant in the Room, the 1060 6GB is worse in those two metrics. (in my opinion, and I am not a RedFanboy)

The facts and conclusions behind both memory usage and CPU usage differences are:
Memory: Ofc the 1060 !!6GB!! Does use less VRAM, it is maxed out! This is a BAD thing. The card basically has to swap to system memory at this point.
CPU: Obviously CPU usage for the 1060 6GB will be higher because the card is swapping to system memory. The CPU has to carry that overhead back and forth. This is a symptom of the card being maxed out with it's VRAM.

Conclusion: the 1060 has not enough VRAM and puts more strain on your CPU, which might not be equipped to handle that load. In that case it will cause frame drops at best and if the swapping task has a lower priority than the rendering pipeline it might even cause loading freezes, while the CPU swaps the data back and forth again.

germanlee42

Honorable
Feb 6, 2017
Just completed this game on 2560X1080 FreeSync monitor (LG 29UM67P) with the R9 390 all settings maxed. Didn't benchmark but can tell you gameplay was buttery smooth. Did wish for bigger FOV but the nature of the game (claustrophobic) is such that I didn't much miss it.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
It needs that much VRAM because of the games has an excessive amount of props, each taking up multiple 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 textures. They kind of went overboard with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.