My computer has a mind of its own

kevin224

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I have been experiencing odd issues with my computer over the past month:
- programs go out of focus (buttons cannot be clicked)
- alt-tabbing to a program to bring it on top of another program sometimes doesn't work (the program just disappears beneath again)
- menus disapear (such as the Windows shut down menu, or any other menus on browsers etc.)
- programs open by themselves
- icons are unclickable on the desktop
- cannot click the windows start button
- windows search doesn't work (I type on my keyboard but the keys don't register in the search)

These issues are occuring all the time at what appears to be random. I can't use the computer normally and I'm desperate for a solution. The computer is fairly new (2-3 years). It's running Windows 10.

What I have tried so far:
- reinstalling windows (issues appeared even during the installation)
- updating all sorts of drivers
- rolling back all sorts of drivers to old versions
- disconnecting all USB devices except of the mouse and keyboard
- changing the mouse and keyboard, testing them on other computers (they work normally)
- checking the CPU for damage with stress tests - NO ISSUES FOUND
- checking the RAM for damage with memory testing software - NO ISSUES FOUND
- resetting the BIOS to factory settings within the application, by removing the battery and moving the jumper
- changing the login option from Microsoft account to local account

I have checked each component physically and found no abnormalities.

What seems to fix the issue TEMPORARILY (I'm talking of a time period of a few seconds, minutes) is using CTRL+ALT+DEL and ESC right after to get out of the menu.

Solution
I know you use avast, but that is a very poor virus protection. I run both malwarebytes and avast, and malwarebytes has detected a lot more than avast has. Your issue does sound hardware related though since it happens when windows is being installed. I doubt you will find any errors since crystal disk reported back healthy on your ssd, but i would still run a disk check and memory test both to be sure. They are both included with windows. You can google how to run both tests. Also make sure you have TRIM enabled on your ssd, and make sure your ssd isnt maxed out storage wise

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Download crystal disk info and check the health of your hard drive. It may be a hard drive in the process of failing. That can create all types of weird behaviors. If your hard drive passes a health test, then next look for a virus. Malwarebytes is the best free anti virus that I have found

kevin224

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

The program found no issues with the hard drive (it's an SSD). I am using Avast antivirus and it found no malware or viruses.

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I know you use avast, but that is a very poor virus protection. I run both malwarebytes and avast, and malwarebytes has detected a lot more than avast has. Your issue does sound hardware related though since it happens when windows is being installed. I doubt you will find any errors since crystal disk reported back healthy on your ssd, but i would still run a disk check and memory test both to be sure. They are both included with windows. You can google how to run both tests. Also make sure you have TRIM enabled on your ssd, and make sure your ssd isnt maxed out storage wise

Solution